President's week crowds at SLC area resorts...?

snowave

Several yrs ago, I was at the Bird on Presidents weekend, and it wasn't "that" busy. I don't remember liftlines being anything more than a few minutes at most.
I don't know what the other places were like though as I was staying exclusively at The Bird .

The lady and I are considering coming out Presidents week (arriving Monday staying til Friday.).. and was wondering what it was like, in general at most areas that week. I know other places, alot of skools are out, etc... and it's somewhat primetime for annual trips for the masses. I haven't checked lodging info either yet, but most likely we'd be using our stockpiled Marriott points at the numerous SLC areas.

I do have the option of coming the following week, but I'd have to use another vaca day at work... which would be nice to avoid if possible... however, if that week is substantially busier than the the next, I would not be heartbroken.

I'm usually an exclusive midweek rider, as I work weekends... so my idea of busy might be different than some. I consider busy more than a 5 min liftline wait. O:)

Also, for a variety of reasons, the areas we plan to visit that week are looking like Brighton, Sundance, Snowbasin, PCMR... maybe Pow Mtn)..

Thanks for any info!

I was out there a few years ago during Pres week. Wasn't bad at all. Most kids don't have the whole week off.

My brother visits every year from Oregon and always, comments on the "Utah Lines." He comically refers to the fact that Utah rarely has lift lines as the Utah lift line. With that said, I agree with Marc in that you will not have any problems at the resorts you mentioned. Book the trip.

Marc_C":2t53y5iz said:
It's not an issue, especially not at the areas on your list.

Maybe PCMR being an exception. Park City does get a lot of local *and* visitor traffic (unlike, say, Snowbasin) and PCMR is the only one out of the three where I've seen ridiculous lines. I use the locals fast-track when I ski there but would be really peeved if I paid $96 for a lift ticket and some other people got to go before me by paying more or being local.
Last year I was at DV on Presidents' Day and it was very manageable.

We stayed in PC (right downtown) a few years ago during the Presidents' Week and we skied at both PCMR and DV. I didn't find the crowds at either ski area to be bad at all. The only real crowds I ever saw was first thing in the morning at the bottom of PCMR for the first ride up the mountain; however, I believe PCMR has added another chairlift out of the base area to relieve some of the pressure. You can also take the "Town Lift" right up from Main St. and I never saw any crowds there. Once on the mountain, I don't remember any significant crowds on any of the slopes or chairlifts. My impression is the PCMR does a fairly good job at spreading the skiers and boarders around the mountain. I also don't remember any significant crowding on either the lifts or slopes at DV. I believe they limit ticket sales and have plenty of lifts and terrain to spread the skiers around. I do remember, though, that eating out on Main St. in PC during that week can be somewhat of a hassle as many of the more popular restaurants fill up with reservations BEFORE the week begins. A friend of mine warned me about this and I made reservations at a few restaurants a couple of weeks before we went out there. Have a fun trip. Hope the snow is good for you!!

berkshireskier":39ny2rc3 said:
The only real crowds I ever saw was first thing in the morning at the bottom of PCMR for the first ride up the mountain; however, I believe PCMR has added another chairlift out of the base area to relieve some of the pressure.
That was the worst part and Crescent lift relieved that (and is still a better way to get off the bottom than Payday). However, I have seen bad lines at Silverlode particularly and Bonanza. You can avoid them once you know but even once is enough. Also, try getting a table (or even getting food) at Snow Hut at lunch time.

Thanks for the info and tips, guys. Good thing is... once we have the week down we are coming, we can wing most of this trip as we'll be driving from Socal. So there is also some flexibility on places we go and stay.

As far as PCMR, I could probably take or leave the mountain... but the lady and I really enjoy the town and atmosphere... esp the Wasatch Brewery. :p

If you're downtown Salt Lake both Squatters and Red Rock are exceptional brew pubs.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

Admin":2sh73h5n said:
If you're downtown Salt Lake both Squatters and Red Rock are exceptional brew pubs.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

yep, I've been to both of those, too. Are there any in Ogden...? I think we might be staying a night up there.

Is the Admin brewery open yet? I hear that might be within stumbling distance of the Cottonwood Marriott? 8-[

snowave":344283xt said:
yep, I've been to both of those, too. Are there any in Ogden...?
Yes, there is, but the name escapes me. Rooster is in the name perhaps? Probably on 25th street like almost everything else in Ogden.

snowave":inmvpe04 said:
Thanks for the info and tips, guys. Good thing is... once we have the week down we are coming, we can wing most of this trip as we'll be driving from Socal. So there is also some flexibility on places we go and stay.

As far as PCMR, I could probably take or leave the mountain... but the lady and I really enjoy the town and atmosphere... esp the Wasatch Brewery. :p

I actually preferred PCMR over DV, although my wife and daughter liked DV better. To me, PCMR seemed like more of a "real" ski resort and ski mountain and had more variety and more interesting terrain to ski. I couldn't help but feel that DV is a high end and extensive - I mean, is there a single parcel of land there that has NOT been built upon? - real estate development with a ski area attached to it. Although large, many of the trails at DV seemed boringly similar to me. Admittedly, it is hard to beat the service and food, though, for what that is worth. Park City is a fun town, although expensive and a little touristy.

In Ogden there's Rooster's on 25th St. Quality control at the Admin brewery sucks.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Looks like we're a go for the trip... Lodging looks good, got dog sitters....

Leaving Socal Saturday PM... staying somewhere in between til Sunday, then we'll probably stay in Provo, and head to Sundance Monday. PC Tues, Ogden/Snowbasin Wed... SLC/Cottonwood/Brighton Thurs... 9 hr drive home friday.

p.s. I snowboard, so we won't be hitting DV unless it's to try out that $62 seafood buffet.... which probably isn't going to happen as that's abotu $10 more than I think it's worth based upon the reviews I've read.

Thanks for the tips on Roosters... sounds like they have decent beer, but hit and miss food. Sad to hear the Admin brewery is going downhill. I hear the owner has been drinking away all the profits.

snowave":oloplytc said:
Thanks for the tips on Roosters... sounds like they have decent beer, but hit and miss food.

Frankly I've preferred their food to their beer, especially the calamari.

snowave":oloplytc said:
Sad to hear the Admin brewery is going downhill. I hear the owner has been drinking away all the profits.

Profits? There are profits to be had? :shock:

I heard that the quality issues arose because he was filtering the stuff with a used ski sock.

Interesting perspective on Roosters. I was only going by the Yelp reviews I looked at. Are there any other good food/drink establishments recommended in the Ogden area?

Speaking of Calamari... Costco has this box of (a huge bag) of outstanding calamari- rings and tenticles. You toss it in the over and bake it for 7 min each side. It's better than most restaurant stuff. They also have a simple recipe for a roasted red pepper aioli dipping sauce that I could almost drink it's so good.

ski sock filtered beer... sounds pretty gross, but... if you can find a way to double or triple that 3.2%..... :-k

snowave":8byt6wx0 said:
Are there any other good food/drink establishments recommended in the Ogden area?

I'm unfortunately not the Ogden expert, but if you haven't hit up the Shooting Star Saloon in Huntsville after skiing or riding you're truly missing out.

snowave":8byt6wx0 said:
Speaking of Calamari... Costco...

One of these years I should try switching over from Sam's Club.

Admin":2bwmmazo said:
snowave":2bwmmazo said:
Are there any other good food/drink establishments recommended in the Ogden area?

I'm unfortunately not the Ogden expert, but if you haven't hit up the Shooting Star Saloon in Huntsville after skiing or riding you're truly missing out.
This is also reasonably good:
http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-297-8179-sonora-grill.html

Read this as well:
http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/arti...dge-shooting-star-saloon-zucca-trattoria.html

Thanks... now I'm completely starving. :-s

I've been to the JP Lodge at Snowbasin... probably one of the more memorable lunch dining experiences at a ski area. Getting a huge gourmet slice of pizza and a killer micro-brew for under $10 (including tax and a tip) was impressive to me. Of course, I kept wanting to drink the beers just so I could keep using the marble stall bathrooms. :-D Them Admin had to post the Prime Rib picture from the other day.. great. I'll probably never make it up on the mtn. #-o

Shooting Start saloon looks like a must for at least a beer, if not a burger, too.

ok, gonna go chew on my fingers now...

Back