Rogers Pass 12/31

Skrad

OK,

Utah must not be happening or I would be reading about.

Skied Rogers Pass with a guide today, maybe got in 5000 vf which is fine because I have to do it tomorrow, the day after, and the day after that.

The snow was creamy and base depths have picked up to 180 cm (sounds deeper, doesn't it?). There is a "December 8" layer to watch out for / we skied moderate pitches with lots of anchors and didn't worry about it.

Saturday can make a call for a week-long hut tour or start working my way down to SLC, maybe stopping at Fernie (good mountain) or Whitefish (mediocre mountain but no additional driving).

Next thing on the horizon of any consequence isn't until the 9th or 10th.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Admin":38xvknzf said:

Hmmm.... something is different in the patterns this year. West coast is a disaster, Utah is at low tide (relatively speaking for several weeks now), but central/northern Colo seems to keep getting a few inches here and there including tonight, more this weekend and a storm forecast by Joel for the 6th... which is still several days before anything significant over Ootah way. Just a weird weather pattern.

EMSC":25bmdldk said:
Admin":25bmdldk said:

West coast is a disaster, Utah is at low tide (relatively speaking for several weeks now), but central/northern Colo seems to keep getting a few inches here and there including tonight, more this weekend and a storm forecast by Joel for the 6th... which is still several days before anything significant over Ootah way. Just a weird weather pattern.

Yep, we're feeling lucky this year. We're headed for Breck this Friday, and things are looking pretty good. We made the rez a month or so ago, but on Southwest Airlines, so we could change to SLC without penalty if CO was looking bad. (Also, if worse came to worst, we now have Wolf Creek as CO backup!) But as it turns out, Summit/ Eagle is looking like the best option right now. Base isn't quite as much as CC resorts, but surface seems likely to be real nice! Going to UT later on; hopefully after the pattern imrpoves.

Very strange indeed. Colorado seems to be just far enough east to catch overriding moisture. Looking at the hydrologic reports CO is well over 100% season to date. Utah in the 75-85%. I even heard Steamboat is near record levels of snow for this time of the year. My gut tells me we will get an over performing storm here soon.

We just arrived in Aspen, skied Highlands today. Most of Temerity is skiable, and it's sustained steep for 1,600 vertical. There's some shrubbery poking out occasionally but very few rocks. Tseeb will be here this weekend, as Aspen is clearly doing best of the Mountain Collective areas so far in terms of what's open and skiable.

Back