Skiing Obsession

Matt Duffy

There were a couple messages in another thread that seemed to be questioning themselves. <BR> <BR>"Is it OK for me to be so obsessed?" <BR> <BR> It's a perfectly innocent question and deserves an honest answer. <BR> <BR> It's OK. You don't need a permission slip. Come back here anytime for validation if you feel the need. But you don't need permission. We are all here because we share the same interests. Your obsession is always welcome. <BR> <BR> I am as obsessed as anyone. See <A HREF="http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com/determination.htm" TARGET="_top">http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com/determination.htm</A> for proof that I'm as much a freak as you or anyone else. There is no reason to feel any shame for being passionate about something in your life. I'd be ashamed if I DIDN'T have something like that. Life would be dull. <BR> <BR> Don't let it bother you if the people that surround you don't understand. Your family will at least come to respect that you love it. They may not understand it, but you'll know it's OK with them when you start getting "ski stuff" for Christmas & Birthday presents. <BR> <BR> I once had a girlfriend whom I lived with for two years. I thought she was so perfect. I was deleriously happy, until... It became apparent that she didn't understand like I thought she did. She started trying to make me feel ashamed for spending so much time on skis. She wanted me to feel immature. In her perfect world, I would have said "Oh wow, you're right. What was I thinking?" , but I didn't. Instead, I became angry and fought with her. I was right, and I still am right. But she is gone. <BR> <BR> Point is, she was with me because she saw potential. While we did have a lot of fun; she didn't respect who I was, but who she thought I could be, or who she wanted me to be. That just isn't the way it works. <BR> <BR> You be your own animal. Be who you want to be and if you love something, I say go for it!

In all actuallity, I am not ashamed of being so passionate about skiing. I was merely trying to find other folks who share this "obsession". I will turn 40 this February and this is going to be my 2nd season on skis. Skiing has a way of invigorating me, when I am on the hill I feel 20 years disappear. That is until the next morning. By the way, was at Windham this past saturday, my back hurts and my legs still burn but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

My obsession was dormant for 22 years* and was reignited in Feb 2000. This caught me and my wife by surprise! She's good about it even though she admits to not having a clue as to why anyone wants to go out in the cold to ski, and this has its benefits! There's never any arguments over where "we'll" ski. The downside is she doesn't want to take any winter vacations. <BR> <BR>So it'll be me and the kids on the slopes for the years to come. I was actually hoping to shake off some of the obsessing after my first full season, but no luck there. I try summer activities, but find myself somehow turning everything into a "ski event" in my mind. <BR> <BR>The good news now is that Killington will be open first week in November for sure and that is "only" 9 weeks away. <BR> <BR>* A contradiction to be sure, so let's agree that I became severely side-tracked from skiing during that time in my life.

If any of you travel for work, don't forget to watch for chances to go early/stay late and sneak in a ski day. I recently had an unexpected free day in Socorro N.M., and realized it was only a 4 hour drive to Wolf Creek CO. (Actually 5, but we made a wrong turn at Santa Fe.) I had to rent everything and the boots didn't fit, but who cares! The skiing was great.

Back