Slides at Breck

johnnash

This was our 3rd full day skiing Breck. Weather conditions last 2 days have been miserable (Sunday it was the temp, yesterday it was gale-force winds, which closed a lot of lifts and created huge lift lines), but surface conditions have been good. Today, the surfaces were showing the effects of yesterday's winds, with a lot of scouring and wind-affected snow. But still, conditions in most places were fine, especially runs surrounded by trees, like those off the 6 Chair. Unfortunately, the Imperial Bowl has been closed, due to a slide. There was a lot of chatter on TGR about this, with people claiming to have inside connections disagreeing about whether it was triggered or not. Well, MY inside source (I rode up the lift with the son of a patrol) says it was not triggered. In all in the last few days, there have been 4 in-bounds slides, 2 triggered and 2 not. No one hurt. I took one of the pix below when there was good light, but the 6 Chair was not open, so I had to take it from Peak 9, and the Bowl is pretty distant. Still, you can see the slide line near the top of the peak, and the debris field below. It took out a good part of the Bowl. And the wind has scoured some of the Bowl that wasn't affected by the avi. So, I wonder when they'll be able to re-open. Probably not until quite a bit more snow. The other picture was taken from the hut at the top of the 6 chair and bottom of Imperial, after they opened the 6 chair. The light was bad, and I just had my cell phone so the quality sucks, but you can get a better view of the debris field a least. The last picture shows a neighboring peak that got the snow completly scoured off. Fortunately, nothing in Breck was that bad!

Attachments

• Imperial showing slide 4.jpg
    Imperial showing slide 4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,035
  • Imperial showing slide close.jpg
    Imperial showing slide close.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3,040
  • Pic from Peak 9 showing scouring.jpg
    Pic from Peak 9 showing scouring.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 3,056
Anything East facing is very, very iffy avi wise in central and front range of Colo right now. The chute that killed the sidecountry skier OB from Vail yesterday was east facing for example. As well the Avi advisory has been droning for days on considerable danger on all east facing slopes (NE, E, SE).

Yes, I just read the article that the grandson of Vail's founder was killed in an avi just slightly out of bounds on an eastern aspect near Vail. Have there been other in-bounds slides, other than the ones at Breck? BTW, they've been bombing the hell out of everything in Breck.

johnnash":1eihfblv said:
Yes, I just read the article that the grandson of Vail's founder was killed in an avi just slightly out of bounds on an eastern aspect near Vail. Have there been other in-bounds slides, other than the ones at Breck?

It's time that we qualify what we're talking about here. Earlier in your original post you mentioned "triggered" slides, presumably as opposed to a natural release. Do you mean triggered by explosives, triggered by a Patrol ski cut, or triggered by a skier on open in-bounds terrain? The answer to your question quoted above is dramatically different depending on what you mean. If you mean either of the former two, they happen daily. Literally. If you mean the latter, they're rare but they do happen. I'm personally aware of two this far this season just at Alta alone, but that's certainly an anomaly.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

My understanding from the cntext of my discussion with the patrol's son is that "triggered" means intentionally triggered. So, in addition to the one in the article, there was one other, which apparently did not affect any skiers.

Back