Smugglers’ Notch and Stowe Propose Interconnect Gondola

ChrisC

Although these two have been linked for years, this Interconnect would formalize the relationship.

Growing up, my family would join a large group from the Triple Cities NY to travel to Smugglers' Notch for a week in February. It's really the first 'big mountain' I skied - loved the place and its glades, twisty trails, and vertical. (An earlier trip to Killington does not really count since I was on the Snowshed slopes the entire time).

You could ski over to Stowe (Spruce Peak) from Smugglers' Sterling Mountain for either a run or a full day by purchasing a single-ride ticket for the Big Spruce or a day ticket. See connector trails 14 and 15 on the Smugglers' Trail Map below.

Stowe/Smugglers' Notch would ski larger than Killington (maybe not stat-wise) and be fully linked since Stowe now has a gondola linking Spruce Peak to Mansfield. Sometimes I think it is too bad that Sugarbush never got to develop the Slide Brook area between Lincoln Peak/South and Mt. Ellen/North. You can still see the old potential lifeline from Mt. Ellen to Mad River River Glen.

Smugglers' Notch Trail Map - 1979. Here
1685635039533.png

Smugglers’ Notch and Stowe Propose Interconnect Gondola

-UjRXHWkEQm1B4BUa8C6Z05gVegjGMUEO2XMOAvUPgJrN2DFasGRMMcwrsGKfwtshd2-peWL1jVwwZ7eCCFTeEW05OE3v0fKGOpvcExvOxK58borIItJ-bEMJEOExSYadgUKYedffX-3dGgasL-_GVCBf_voqHkoOKwgPJCyyQL3xTWOo8Y0LF3EcgKshO0DcwV2I210snlFqOJUpja_C3dTKEetA8J3XjmRlic=s0-d-e1-ft
Peter Landsman
Jun 1

Two of Vermont's largest ski resorts could be connected by gondola under a plan uncovered by the Morrisville News and Citizen. Stowe Mountain Resort parent Vail Resorts and longtime Smugglers' Notch owner Bill Stritlzer have reportedly been in talks for several years and sought to keep details of the project confidential. Lawyers for the State of Vermont recently determined that documents could be released under public records law.

Under the proposal, a 9 tower gondola would link Spruce Peak at Stowe to Sterling Mountain at Smugglers' Notch along a relatively flat area home to an alpine pond and the Long Trail. A ride across the 2,600 foot connector lift would take just over five minutes and link two very different mountains. Vail-owned Stowe currently operates a fleet of six high-speed lifts while Hall doubles service narrow New England trails at Smuggs. One mountain accepts the hugely popular Epic Pass while the other shuns multi-mountain passes entirely and charges $85 for a day ticket. If connected, the two resorts would encompass 17 lifts and 194 trails.
The gondola would only rise about 350 vertical feet and no new ski trails would be cut between the two mountains. The lift would be designed with only 26 cabins and a modest hourly capacity of 1,200 skiers per direction. As part of the project, Smugglers' Notch would place 72 acres of private land under conservation easement and Stowe would protect 92 acres to offset the development of the gondola. A portion of the Long Trail could also be rerouted to reduce visual impacts. If approved by state regulators, the project would take two years to implement.

Vail-owned Stowe currently operates a fleet of six high-speed lifts while Hall doubles service narrow New England trails at Smuggs. One mountain accepts the hugely popular Epic Pass while the other shuns multi-mountain passes entirely and charges $85 for a day ticket.
Will be interesting to see how they navigate the Epic Pass angle. People in the East hate what's happened to ski areas that are now under Vail Resorts.

People in the East hate what's happened to ski areas that are now under Vail Resorts.

I thought a lot of the hate was for 3 core reasons:
  • Poor operations/snowmaking. Looks like Vail really cut back the budgets and resorts in New Hampshire (Wildcat, Attitash, Crotched, Sunapee) really suffered early season.
  • Weekend Crowds. Assume IKON can feel a similar crunch. However, assume ALL resorts are much better than in the 1980s/90s before advanced lifts, improved snowmaking and larger footprints.
  • Parking Fees. The Stowe fees seem really high. I am sure Smugglers' Madonna/Sterling base would get overwhelmed on weekends as an entryway into Stowe.
The United States/North America is not really good about cooperative lift passes. Outside Alta/Snowbird, Solitude/Brighton, old Whistler/Blackcomb, Banff/Big 3, old Summit County pass, and (maybe all the relationship resorts on IKON pass?), North America has never really figured out revenue sharing between resorts owned by separate operators. Nor really had systems in place to measure it.

Not sure about this. I think they are at least an hour apart by car.
The two base areas are ridiculously far apart in winter when the notch is closed. But the base areas are not all that different in time to reach from Burlington. So locals may overwhelm Smuggs parking lots, though if coming from the big cities to the south Stowe is much faster to reach.

My college ski team used to do a week long session at Smuggs in early January ahead of the race circuit kicking off in late Jan (staying in the condos at base of Morse mtn). One year the high temp for the entire week was a whopping +5F with overnight lows in the -10F to -20F range every night. Classic NE weather. Lots of currently 'classic' trails there too.

Smuggs isn't even on the Indy, MCP or any other multi-pass are they? Formal connection seems like a huge culture stretch for them. Only makes sense to do if they suddenly join Epic or sell themselves to Vail or something?

The two base areas are ridiculously far apart in winter when the notch is closed. But the base areas are not all that different in time to reach from Burlington. So locals may overwhelm Smuggs parking lots, though if coming from the big cities to the south Stowe is much faster to reach.

With my brother attending the University of Vermont in Burlington, I got the impression that Stowe was often the favored mountain for locals - especially with the Epic pass giving access to other mountains. I'm sure there are Jay, Smuggs, and MRG diehards, but not in equal quantities.

With weekend parking at Stowe hitting $30, I'd rather park at Sterling/Madonna base, take Sterling lift, ski Spruce to the connector gondola, and be at Mansfield.

(staying in the condos at base of Morse mtn). One year the high temp for the entire week was a whopping +5F with overnight lows in the -10F to -20F range every night. Classic NE weather. Lots of currently 'classic' trails there too.

It's always strange to me that Smugglers' wins all these family skiing awards due to the development at Morse / Smugglers' Village. Yet the terrain is really some of the least friendly in the NorthEast for beginners/intermediates. Bad snowmaking, high winds, narrow trails, poor grooming, cold temps, etc. - it's a tough place!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back