Solitude, UT 12/12/13

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
The first day of my 2013-14 season was quite good considering there's been no new snow here in four days -- and nothing in the forecast for at least the next week. After the arctic temps of late, today was warm and sunny. Everything that had been tracked up slightly off-piste was soft and chalky. Unfortunately, if you found any untracked that the sun had hit, it was slow going.

Our favorite run was Diamond Lane off the Powderhorn lift, which we lapped a bunch of times. Also, the skier's left off the top of the Summit lift was beautiful:
Plattekill 005.jpg

Plattekill 009.jpg

Plattekill 011.jpg

Plattekill 010.jpg

Honeycomb is closed for what reason? Inadequate snow on the runout maybe? Are the runs on the Eagle quad decently covered?

Meanwhile back east in Jamesdeluxe's region we have this snow report:

Snow Ridge Ski Report":3etm9ott said:
This report is effective 8am Friday, December 13, 2013

Today appears to be a repeat of the past two days. As of 7 this morning we have received 19" of snow and it's still snowing. Add that to the accumulation from Wednesday & Thursday of 38" and we're at 57" and counting. There's even more on top of the slopes.

Snow Ridge will be open Friday from 10am to 4pm with one lift serving 6+ trails. We will be skiing and riding on powder, powder and more powder.

It's gonna be a wonderful day to spend on the slopes - especially being all the snow is from Mother Nature. Plan on being here early.

A special shout out to THANK LAKE ONTARIO !!!!

Marc_C":3nykk72m said:
I say it's all kingslug's fault.

It's known in meteorological circles as a "Heitner High. "

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Tony Crocker":4pp7jti3 said:
Honeycomb is closed for what reason? Inadequate snow on the runout maybe? Are the runs on the Eagle quad decently covered?
This bugged me the first time I read it. Of all the myriad reasons why specific terrain may be closed, why do you always focus on snowfall amounts and coverage? I can think of at least three solid reasons why they may have had Honeycomb closed - and not a one has to do with snow coverage.

Maybe because those other reasons are weather/snow stability related, and we know that week was the high pressure mid-January, oops mid-December dry spell with inversion. :stir:

Tony Crocker":1wb1lsih said:
Maybe because those other reasons are weather/snow stability related, and we know that week was the high pressure mid-January, oops mid-December dry spell with inversion. :stir:
Tony, either reread that thread so you accurately portray what was said and not your misinterpretation or please STFU. :troll:
Save a kitten's life!

Back