Southwest 72-hr fare sale

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Wanna ski in January/February, or make early turns in December? Southwest Airlines today launched a 72-hr fare sale, with fares of $30, $60, $90 or $120 one-way (depending on trip length) system-wide, for travel Dec. 1-15, 2010 or Jan. 5-Feb. 16, 2011. I just looked for my mother and readily found Providence to SLC for $120 each way, plus tax. Fare sale expires at 72 hours or when seats are sold.

For skiers, Southwest flies into the following gateway airports:

Albany, NY
Manchester, NH
Albuquerque
Denver
Reno/Tahoe
Sacramento
Salt Lake City
Portland
Seattle/Tacoma
Spokane
Boise

Thanks a bunch Admin!!!

Just booked an early December flight (hope I'm not speculating too much there) and a flight over Sundance, both from Oakland for $141 total per flight. Crazy...

I totally would have missed this without you pointing it out.

Tony Crocker":2rapuklb said:
I =D> the above public service. I have made good use of it in a couple of recent seasons.
Tony, do you know how much it costs to fly from LAX to SLC mid season on short notice (say 2 or 3 days, or longest length of time that would allow one to take advantage of an approaching storm system)? A friend had to fly back to SLC from LAX on less than 1 day notice a couple weeks ago, leaving on a Friday and returning on a Monday, and only paid about $200.00 (other choices were considerably higher, but he was able to get this price). I'm guessing that trying that in January or February (esp. when conditions are good) would be a lot more expensive than it was in early October. I'm weighing the option of a last minute trip vs. a planned trip with these low SWA fares.
Thanks

baldyskier":18wpf4b8 said:
Tony Crocker":18wpf4b8 said:
I =D> the above public service. I have made good use of it in a couple of recent seasons.
Tony, do you know how much it costs to fly from LAX to SLC mid season on short notice (say 2 or 3 days, or longest length of time that would allow one to take advantage of an approaching storm system)? A friend had to fly back to SLC from LAX on less than 1 day notice a couple weeks ago, leaving on a Friday and returning on a Monday, and only paid about $200.00 (other choices were considerably higher, but he was able to get this price). I'm guessing that trying that in January or February (esp. when conditions are good) would be a lot more expensive than it was in early October. I'm weighing the option of a last minute trip vs. a planned trip with these low SWA fares.
Thanks

I book the last minute trips a few times a winter and I've also looked at a few of the Southwest deals from LAX-SLC. For me, I like to leave on Fri and return Sunday (no missed work), it looks like they don't have the $60 rate for the Sunday flight so it ends up being $197 all taxes and fees included for me to go this December. Mid winter I've booked quite a few trips that were less than that and usually don't pay more than $300. To me $300 when I know it'll be good is better than $150-200 when it might be. Just my opinion.

Tony, do you know how much it costs to fly from LAX to SLC mid season on short notice
I have not done this, but yes it would be smart to plan $300. I plan to be doing both Mammoth and SLC on short notice but I will be driving.

socal":2nsa59hg said:
I book the last minute trips a few times a winter and I've also looked at a few of the Southwest deals from LAX-SLC. For me, I like to leave on Fri and return Sunday (no missed work), it looks like they don't have the $60 rate for the Sunday flight so it ends up being $197 all taxes and fees included for me to go this December. Mid winter I've booked quite a few trips that were less than that and usually don't pay more than $300. To me $300 when I know it'll be good is better than $150-200 when it might be. Just my opinion.

I think socal is generally spot on. If you're only going to have 1 or 2 trips to Utah then spending the extra money to basically guarantee you'll have powder conditions is the way to go. If you're thinking you'll go on 3 or more trips, then planning gets a little more tricky - unless money is not a concern.

I fly from the Bay Area and the price ranges and flight options are similar. In my experience getting the flights you want on a few days notice is likely going to cost you more than $300. Based on a quick check on kayak you couldn't fly to SLC this weekend for <$400, for instance. The current Southwest anytime fares basically put you at $400. That's a little pricey for 2 days of skiing.

So, you've got a few options as I see it (I basically follow all of these over the course of a season):

1) Have an open schedule, religiously follow the fares (use ding, kayak fare alerts, etc.), and jump at the times when there are short-notice good prices combined with good snow. It does happen, as socal said.
2) I've had good luck buying 2 weeks in advance, when fares are generally lower, based on the 10-day forecast. The Wasatch can get into unsettled patterns where the storms really line up. This works especially well in January/February, when you'll be able to find untracked somewhere several days after the last snow.
3) Take advantage of these really low fare deals and take the odds. If you can score tickets for <$150 it's much easier to justify 2 trips instead of 1.

I also try to take advantage of the quickstart program at Park City - taking the early morning flight and scoring a free lift ticket at one of the PC resorts. With a $150 plane ticket you can ski 2 days for ~$200. This nearly makes Utah break-even with driving to Tahoe, price-wise.

And, using frequent flyer miles always helps...

Of course, if any one else has any better options, I'm all ears.

Here's a dumb question for you guys, but I've never been able to take an impromptu trip, so I'm curious.
What do you do about lodging or ground transportation? Ideally, I'd want to get a cab or shuttle to a slopeside hotel and skip the rental car for the weekend, but those accommodations certainly are not cheap. (Neither is a rental car, for that matter.) Do you guys have friends or family in the area?

Tom

pointpeninsula":2ru1cglg said:
Here's a dumb question for you guys, but I've never been able to take an impromptu trip, so I'm curious.
What do you do about lodging or ground transportation? Ideally, I'd want to get a cab or shuttle to a slopeside hotel and skip the rental car for the weekend, but those accommodations certainly are not cheap. (Neither is a rental car, for that matter.) Do you guys have friends or family in the area?

Tom

Speaking just for SLC, I can tell you that in most circumstances a car rental can be had here for $20 or less per day. On those days you want to get up LCC or BCC when there are 4x4 restrictions in place just drive to the ski bus stop.

Admin":2sarxb0r said:
Speaking just for SLC, I can tell you that in most circumstances a car rental can be had here for $20 or less per day. On those days you want to get up LCC or BCC when there are 4x4 restrictions in place just drive to the ski bus stop.
That's correct. SLC is one of the cheapest places in the country for rental cars. I always go for the two-wheel-drive economy car, usually available for $12-14/day. With taxes/fees, it's in the upper teens per day.

I've gone on record here several times for why there's absolutely no reason to get an expensive 4x4 there (unless you've got a large posse or just want to appear "prepared for anything"), so just follow Admin's suggestion about parking at the ski bus stop when they've got the flashing "chains" sign at the bottom of the canyons.

The only time you'll get hosed on a rental car price-wise is if you wait until the very last minute.

pointpeninsula":1vtwl54v said:

Tom

Totally agree with the economy car approach - for the price of a cab or shuttle you'll have the freedom of your own car.

For lodging I personally stay with either family or friends. However, there is a glut of cheap lodging in the SL valley - there are many suite-type hotels (with kitchens) close to the Cottonwood canyons (and ski bus stops) for $50 or less per night. It's not the same as being slope-side, but for cost it's unbeatable.

Admin":jvsggs9k said:
pointpeninsula":jvsggs9k said:

Tom

A few other points, you can usually hold a car and just cancel at the last second depending on weather. I'll usually book a SUV and care and just take whatever the situation dictates. In those situations where the road is going to close in the early am I like to try and beat the rush and get up there before the closure (hey, if you're willing to fly out to ski for 2 days you should be willing to wake up at 5am to do it) which is another reason to consider a SUV.

socal":2su4dvcb said:
A few other points, you can usually hold a car and just cancel at the last second depending on weather. I'll usually book a SUV and care and just take whatever the situation dictates. In those situations where the road is going to close in the early am I like to try and beat the rush and get up there before the closure (hey, if you're willing to fly out to ski for 2 days you should be willing to wake up at 5am to do it) which is another reason to consider a SUV.

That's a great idea, especially if you're planning to hit Powder Mountain. That's the one Utah resort you simply can't get to with 2WD under heavy snow since the road is so steep and bus access is extremely limited. And hitting PM on a powder day is simply a blast (and the only time you really want to ski there).

I would personally rather take the bus up the Cottonwood canyons on a big powder day since you don't have to deal with traffic, the bus ride is usually fun (full of characters) and it's good for the environment. Just make sure you catch an early bus and get on at an early stop (not at the bottom of the canyon since the buses can fill up before then).

Warning - political rant disclaimer It's actually a disgrace that the Alta/Snowbird lots get so full and the canyon so congested given the convenient bus service. I imagine the locals don't use it since it adds an extra 15 minutes or so to their ride, but to me it's almost as bad as seeing a 'Keep Tahoe Blue' bumper sticker on a full-size SUV parked in a luxury condo at Squaw.

Thanks for all the good advice, gang.
When I make it to SLC one of these days, you'll save me a boatload of cash using the information.

Tom

Back