Stark Mountain VT, 12/10-12/11

Mark Renson

Up the skin track on Bunny I went .....and at the intersection with Broadway, I ran into some of the Plaid Cult. Uh, oh I had to crank it up a few notches in order to keep up with them to the mighty summit. Down Cat Bowl we went, finding nice candy. I was a bit tentative due to my cautious nature and I hit some turf. Down the outer braid where there was better coverage and over to the uptrack on Fox for a trip to The Double. At the top we met Evan and Todd Fisher, so we had a sizeable enthusiastic Plaid Posse. A meeting of the minds came up with upper Upper Panther to Quacky which was a very good choice all the way to Broadway. It was so good, that we did it again with an extension down to Gazelle with some nice steeper turns to Chipmunk. Up Chipmunk and to the Stark's Nest we went - man, we were cranking out lotsa' verts. Todd wanted to catch his breath and Evan bolted for a Fall Line to Mid lap and I stayed with Todd for a bit of a break. When Evan came back, we opted for savoring a long descent to the bottom. Todd, who appears to have a big powder appetite and nose for powder, went for Upper Antelopewith it's virgin candy to the sides of the skin track as did I. Another meeting of the minds was had and the answer of Upper Chipmunk came out. It was the correct answer as we found some sweeeeet untracked - the best skiing of the day - and followed up by putting down our signatures under The Double. Another conference was had and we placed our bets on One Way which we speculated holded snow well. Whaddya' know, we were correct, again.

At the bottom, The Beer Angel 8) showed up. When the smell of a freshly opened beer hit my nose, I had flashbacks of the end of many great days at the trailhead, toasting and shivering in the cold to a great day. Whaddya' know, we were having ano! ther one of those days! The mountain had many vistitors and a good vibe to it and it was great to catch up with buds' everywhere that I had not seen in a while.

This morning ......oh no, not again said my body. But at a little after 8:00AM after gaining a few verts, I was happy - times like that, you get this revelation that you're doing something good, healthy and wholesome and you're doing the right thing. I was the first one of the day at The Stark's Nest and I enjoyed some morning rays. I descended Cat Bowl and was much more confident with my turns. On the day's first ascent, I had noticed the untracked snowfields of upper Bunny down to Canyon - an oversight :shock: . So, I headed down Broadway for that and got the best turns of the weekend :D ! Up to The Double I went and I opted for Vixen with its loads of untracked. Many great turns were had, sans the water bar and I headed for some more Upper Bunny Bowl turns. It was so good, I repeated, then climbed up to top of Chipmunk and had a replay of the prior day's sweet turns; a little wind overnight covered our tracks. I was gonna' go for lower Chipmunk, but an exlporing bug crept into me, so I went to top of Birdland 8) to see what I could see. Windpacked snow was evident and Loon was scoured and it took me a bit o' time to get up enough speed to make turns on Duck. I opted for Robin which was just OK and when I looked over my shoulder, it appeared that Wren woulda' been a better choice. Whatever, it was still a great weekend of earning turns on Stark Mountain.

Back