TR Crested Butte, Telluride

gpaulski

Hola all!! Belated Trip report (so tony won´t get on my case):

12/17-1/1, in general EXTREMELY COLD every day, -16 in Avon, -29 in CB, -5 in Telluride,etc. But sunny 90% O:)

12/18- Loveland, very nice, good snow cover, not a soul. Will return but only for 1-2 days.
12/19-21- Beaver Creek and Vail, nearly perfect since i don´t do the back bowls, but front side 100% open, beaver 90% open. Finally realized IMHO tha Vail is numero 1 simply because EVERYTHING works, no complaints possible. The hype about shi-shi this n that does not mar the quality of the mountain. Will return in a heartbeat!
22-26- Tride, not impressed but maybe lack of snow (50% open) caused this. But the open blues and blacks where rather boring. BEST town so far! May return???
27-30- Crested Butte, FANTASTIC!!!! reminds me of Snowbasin, everything perfect. Friendliest lifties AND townies ever. Many commented on vacationing in the DR, my hometown for the last 20+ years. Small town but groovy! Gonna go back, especially when they open newly approved terrain.
31- Snowmass, returned after 11 years, sadly dissapointed with pitch, just not enough in general. Don't think will return.

All the best.

GPaul":220f9ojv said:
12/18- Loveland, very nice, good snow cover, not a soul.
Of course no one was there. Loveland was 12% open on Dec. 16 and 14% open on Dec. 23. Few would define that as "good snow cover."
2/19-21- Beaver Creek and Vail, nearly perfect since i don´t do the back bowls, but front side 100% open, beaver 90% open.
Vail was 68% open and Beaver Creek 72% on Dec. 23. From all we've ever heard from GPaul, Vail is close to his ideal mountain. But he sells the Back Bowls short. There's plenty of interesting intermediate terrain back there.
The hype about shi-shi this n that does not mar the quality of the mountain.
Agree 100%
22-26- Tride, not impressed but maybe lack of snow (50% open) caused this.
Telluride was 14% open on Dec. 23. Thanks to us GPaul knew this in advance but chose to go there anyway.
27-30- Crested Butte, FANTASTIC!!!! reminds me of Snowbasin, everything perfect. Friendliest lifties AND townies ever. Many commented on vacationing in the DR, my hometown for the last 20+ years. Small town but groovy! Gonna go back, especially when they open newly approved terrain.
This is the one I don't get. CB was 34% open. This probably did mean most of the front side was open, but CB is certainly not where I would send someone whose first priority is "long steep groomers." CB is a small mountain compared to most Colorado areas in terms of groomed runs. And the steepest ones are on the East River lift, which is comparatively low and thus may have been closed or limited when GPaul was there.
31- Snowmass, returned after 11 years, sadly dissapointed with pitch, just not enough in general. Don't think will return.
Snowmass has some interesting expert terrain, particularly attractive on powder days. But the groomers are in general quite flat, 5-1 length to vertical is typical. Aspen/Snowmass was 78% open on Dec. 31.

Perhaps our paths will cross sometime so I can collect my
84115709-picanha-steak-with-fries-and-beer.jpg

Well, you can do this with me:

12/20-24 SLC
25-2 Jackson/Targhee and Bridger/Big Sky (one day Yellowstone)
3-4 Sun Valley
5-6 SLC

Any FT friends there during this time?

\:D/

Hey james, great to hear from you! Tony, meh.... O:)

Ok, here we go for xmas Dec 18 -Jan 7 father and son (15), so far....:

12/18-20 Las Vegas baby!
21 Bryan or the other one in south utah
22-25 SLC (been here many times, gonna concentrate on MT and JH)
26- Grand T
27-1 Big S, Bridger, Yellowstone (1 day)
2-4 Jackson H
5,6 SLC
7 Other southern until 11 pm flight

Join us?

All the best!

gpaulski":1n6sccz5 said:

The other one is Eagle Point. No offense intended to my friends at EP but for someone looking for "long, steep groomers," EP has neither.

gpaulski":1n6sccz5 said:

Please give me a shout in the days prior to either swing through SLC, I'd be happy to share some turns.

gpaulski":swdsa1ix said:
Hey james, great to hear from you! Tony, meh.... O:)

Ok, here we go for xmas Dec 18 -Jan 7 father and son (15), so far....:

12/18-20 Las Vegas baby!
22-25 SLC (been here many times, gonna concentrate on MT and JH)
26- Grand T
27-1 Big S, Bridger, Yellowstone (1 day)
2-4 Jackson H
5,6 SLC
7 Other southern until 11 pm flight

Join us?

All the best!

I know it's tough to do given the time of year, but personally, I wouldn't book any non-refundable lodging and just figure it out based on snow. I read reports all the time and I'd think that the drive to Big Sky/Bridger could be a complete waste of time since they don't really get up and running snow wise until later due to smaller storms they get. Also, having been to Jackson 4 times I'd hold off on that too, lodging there will be easy to book last minute and find cheap lodging in the winter, obviously Targhee less so, but I've never seen it THAT busy up there in my 4 days.

I'm just throwing it out there, I'm sure you'll just book it like last year anyway, but really, I can't imagine there's any reason to commit to any of those places today since I'm assuming you'll have a car anyway.

socal":l8939yhg said:
I'm just throwing it out there, I'm sure you'll just book it like last year anyway, but really, I can't imagine there's any reason to commit to any of those places today since I'm assuming you'll have a car anyway.
This advice is obviously sound, and was provided last year by johnnash and others and was ignored. This year is different in some ways.
1) Last year's choice of resorts for early season was asking for trouble. Furthermore, as isolated resort towns lodging may have been in limited supply for peak holiday periods.
2) This year's choices are generally far superior. In SLC (as long as you stay there and not in Park City) price and availability will be reasonable, and you'll have multiple choices where to ski each day based upon weather, snow and expected crowds. Targhee has the best Christmas snow record of anyone and Jackson's Christmas track record is decent. It is also not necessary to reserve lodging at Jackson because it's more of a summer resort and you should be able to get something last minute if it's worth going there.

socal":l8939yhg said:
I'd think that the drive to Big Sky/Bridger could be a complete waste of time since they don't really get up and running snow wise until later due to smaller storms they get.
Their record is not great but it's no worse than Telluride's and a lot better than Crested Butte's. Bridger/Big Sky are not GPaul mountains though. Both areas have expert ungroomed steeps up high and flattish, Snowmass-like groomers down lower. I'd say skip these and maybe if it's good go back to Sun Valley which is almost the perfect GPaul mountain.

So the sensible plan is:
As scheduled Dec. 18-20 Vegas, Brian Head one day in transit, SLC through Dec. 25. Then reassess, look at reports. If Utah is doing much better than farther north, stay put. In a good Utah early season you've got Snowbasin and the Park City areas, all good for GPaul. If Jackson is doing well, you should still be able to pick up lodging there as noted above. You can also get a day in Yellowstone from Jackson as I did in 2006. Sun Valley is an isolated resort, but maybe after New Year's you can still get last minute lodging if you want to finish up there. Targhee will be good, though not sure you want to drive 5 hours from SLC just for that unless you're also going to Jackson or Sun Valley. Big Sky/Bridger are the longest drives in addition to being the least suitable ski areas.

Great advice y'all.

None of my lodging reservations are non-refundable, all cancellable 24 hours prior, so that's not a worry, whew!

Friends here in DR have loved Big Sky, they've been twice during 12/26-1/5, and I don't need to go up the tram, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised (like at CB).

Concentrating on Montana and JH/GT since they are difficult to get to, SLC is easy. That's why I 86d Sun Valley this trip, will be part of another ID haul one of these days.

Will put out coordinates as we leave for trip so I can finally meet some fellow skiers, maybe you can teach me to ski "pretty"...!

Tony, what are chances of skking with you in your stomping grounds??

All the best!

gpaulski":33mnp58v said:
so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised (like at CB).
One might think that, but you didn't like Snowmass and most of the groomers at Big Sky/Moonlight are very similar. The lower mountain at Bridger is even flatter. Patrick was quite outspoken on the subject IIRC.

Even when I was working I avoided skiing Christmas week; now that I'm retired there's really no reason for me to unless it's good here in SoCal.

I have no scheduled trips until mid-February. There are events in Utah the first 2 weeks of February that I could attend but don't need to commit now. And of course I'll be in Utah for Iron Blosam week in March. December/January excluding the holidays will be based upon what's good within drive distance, meaning Mammoth, Tahoe and maybe Utah. We are most motivated for Tahoe if it's good because Liz has never skied there and she has a Mountain Collective for 2013-14.

Even when I was working I avoided skiing Christmas week; now that I'm retired there's really no reason for me to unless it's good here in SoCal.

I don't disagree, but with one kid in college and one in high school . Xmas week is their only common winter vacation . So I will be spending my holiday week in Vegas , Brian Head and L.A...It is what it is.

Instead of renting equipment (boots, skis,poles), my son and I purchased used last year in Dillon, at Virgin Island Ski.

Any such deals in Vegas, or near Bryanhead??

gracias!

gpaulski":f0v5803i said:
Instead of renting equipment (boots, skis,poles), my son and I purchased used last year in Dillon, at Virgin Island Ski.

Any such deals in Vegas, or near Bryanhead??

gracias!

I can't speak to Vegas, but realize that Brian Head is rather isolated.

i will be at Brian Head 23-25 staying at Hilton on the mountain..152/night
staying at the Mirage 25-29th 120/night
then going to L.A.

gpaulski":2uktvc8b said:
Friends here in DR have loved Big Sky, they've been twice during 12/26-1/5, and I don't need to go up the tram, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised (like at CB).

Gpaulski, I think you will be satisfied with the groomers at Big Sky and they are usually in good shape by the holidays. The runs off Andesite are long and some have decent pitch. You will want to focus on the Ramcharger and Thunderwolf chairs. You should also try the bowl off the triple chair. Many days it skis like a wind buffed groomer in an alpine setting. Folks at all different levels love skiing Big Sky, you will have a great time. Give a shout that week, we can do a few runs and I'll take you to my favorite watering hole on the mountain :) .

Jasoncapecod, we'll just miss you, coño! Raincheck, maybe Banff April '14??

Coldsmoke, will advise few days prior to arrival, gin & tonics with lots of lime! You think 2 days at Bridger??

Also, the Skyline Bus system Bozeman-Big Sky, 1 hour ride? Still not sure about lodging, waiting for Package Deals from Buck4 and Whitewater, in Bozeman probably Comfort Inn.

Gracias.

gpaulski":3ncf1x8e said:
You think 2 days at Bridger?? Also, the Skyline Bus system Bozeman-Big Sky, 1 hour ride? Still not sure about lodging, waiting for Package Deals from Buck4 and Whitewater, in Bozeman probably Comfort Inn.

Probably 1 day for just groomers. However, they are installing 2 new chairs for this season that will serve "some of the best intermediate (BLUE RUNS) terrain in Montana!" So that might be exactly what you are looking for.

Yes, a little over 1 hour from Bozeman on the Skyline to Big Sky. If the cost is relatively the same, stay at Bucks-T4 in Big Sky. Really nice hot tubs, bar and restaurant and there is also a free shuttle to the ski hill so you can partake in Apre without driving.

I've stayed and dined at Bucks T-4. Decent stay and an exceptional wild game meal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

jasoncapecod":1oj0rsfz said:
I will be spending my holiday week in Vegas , Brian Head and L.A...It is what it is.
Let me know when you're in L.A. There could be excellent skiing, but it's a longshot. Last time it was really good at Baldy that early was 2004-05. In terms of terrain Big Bear is quite similar to Brian Head, but it's man made snow (typically ~75% open at Christmas) with a lot more people. Snow surfaces at Big Bear will probably be better than you would assume from the East because most of the time it will not have rained since they made the snow, most of it in the 2-3 weeks before you are there.
admin":1oj0rsfz said:
I've stayed and dined at Bucks T-4. Decent stay and an exceptional wild game meal.
+1, excellent dinners there.
coldsmoke":1oj0rsfz said:
Probably 1 day for just groomers. However, they are installing 2 new chairs for this season that will serve "some of the best intermediate (BLUE RUNS) terrain in Montana!"
That quote is pure marketing. I like Bridger personally, but for topography it's one of the worst I've seen anywhere for GPaul's tastes. If he's going to Big Sky anyway, I can see the one day there to "add it to the list." At Big Sky Andesite and Thunder Wolf are the only groomed areas with decent pitch. That's a relatively small fraction of a large ski complex.

I understand as much as anyone the desire to see new places, but now you have scheduled 6 days at Bridger/Big Sky vs. 3 at Jackson/Targhee, both of which have more consistent pitch than Big Sky. I would recommend reversing that allocation. I recommend that you do the Old Faithful excursion from West Yellowstone as opposed to Jackson. The logical time to do that is on your departure day from Big Sky, as Liz and I did last March. It will break up your drive; spend that night in Driggs and ski Targhee the next day or two before moving on to Jackson.

I don't understand the bus inquiry about Bozeman since you're obviously doing this trip with a car. I'm also going to advise you that Big Sky/Yellowstone are possibly the coldest ski destinations in the western US (West Yellowstone often shows the coldest temps in the lower 48 in winter) and you're going to be there at the average coldest time of the year. Coming from the DR you may find this to be a serious issue. Last March temps topped out at 10F on 2 of our 3 days at Big Sky, colder than any of our Canadian stops over the previous 2+ weeks. Be sure you have adequate layers, mittens, etc. to stand up to a full day outside near zero F. Wind chill from skiing mostly groomers also accentuates the cold so I would also recommend a face mask.

Jackson is on average slightly warmer than Big Sky, but I would always be prepared with cold weather gear there too. Jackson gets midwinter temperature inversions like on our last trip in Feb. 2012. Temps rarely got out of single digits in town or at the base of the mountain, but were ~10 degrees warmer up on the hill.

Back