TR - Ste Anne (01/25-27), Sutton (01/28-29)

admafw

Picked a heck of a week to go skiing in Quebec with my better half...

Monday morning(2010-01-25), slopeside condo Ste Anne - pouring rain. Trail report says 22 runs open - They lie like a cheap rug!!! (unless you count the shared lead in top 300' of a 2500' run as counting the run open.) Not a single black open. The gondola is running so the trips up are dry. Share a trip up with a volunteer mountain guide - tells me "you should have been here last week..." Sounds like all my fishing trips! Actual top to bottom runs open on the south side - 2 - 1 blue, 1 green. Snow's nice and soft - they could have opened a lot more terrain...

Tuesday - Got up 4:30 am - rain has stopped - the groomers have 4 hours till opening. I say a prayer for groomer operators as the unsung heroes of ski resorts. Go down to the ticket office at 8:30 and check the trail count - 5 of 66??? My better half and I get out for 9:00 - no gondola - a single bubble chair coated in rime from the occasional ice pellets coming down. Same two runs open top to bottom. School groups start arriving 9:30 - by 10:00 there's a line up for the chair. Go down to the ticket office to see if they plan to open any more runs – Nope! We bail and head for Stoneham. 15 runs open, another bubble chair coated in rime - finally get to ski some blacks. Actually see groomers working - I guess a prayer answered late is better than not at all.

Wednesday - last day at St Anne - 34 trails open - gondola and 3 chairs open. South side is pretty sketchy - a couple of blacks open. Groomed runs are basically the 2" ice crust broken into softball sized chunks. Lifts/lodging deal includes free demo skis for the day - make a smart decision in opting for a pair of Rossi 9S Oversized. Hope they sharpen them before the next guy uses them. North side is actually skiable - decently groomed and not icy at all. We take off at 2:30 as we're skiing the next 2 days at Sutton in the Eastern Townships.

Thursday (2010-01-28) - Mt. Sutton. The hotel has a print out of the mornings' trail report at Sutton - 54/54 trails open???? Huh??? Lovely lady at the front desk says they got the rain all day Monday but that was followed up with 20cm (8") of snow on Tuesday. (Sutton is probably 20 minutes as the crow flies from Jay.) Get to the hill - WOW - skiable snow. They've left half the hill ungroomed and there are still lots of fresh stashes of powder in the glades!!! Lifts/lodging are so cheap (check the Sutton web site - you won't believe the prices) that I spend some extra coin on demos for the day. Boy do Salomon Lords make powder/crud/moguls effortless when compared to an older pair of Rossi 9X's. Having arrived from Ste Anne with such low expectations this day now ranks as truly memorable. Late in the afternoon the snows arrive - in the space of 2 runs the place gets another 5cm (2") of snow. Still snowing as the hill closes.

Friday - Sutton. Cold - I mean really COLD! -18C (aprox 0 F), wind chill - 30C. Still 54/54 runs open. We give up around noon - 6 hour drive home to the flatlands of Ontario. Thighs still sore from the day before - can never seem to get a similar "feel the burn" no matter how hard I work the 300' vertical hills at home.

Been years between trips to Ste. Anne - will likely never return. I’ve skied after rain/freeze events at Killington, Loon and Cannon. Even an underfunded state area like Cannon will send groomers up the hill in the middle of the day – not Ste Anne. Sent off a nasty e-mail to Ste Anne. I can only assume RCR treats all skiers at all their hills with equal disdain. Likely back to Sutton later this year.

I'm a bit curious why we don't see more reports from our eastern Canadian contingent from the Townships. The border crossings into the US have become more of a nuisance and these areas probably do get the most lift served natural snow in eastern Canada. And from our departed friend Frank I recall the terrain quality is fairly decent also.

I'll be on a whirlwind tour of the Townships starting Sunday. Too bad the 2-4 feet that are going to hit the Washington DC area this weekend can't find its way north.
](*,)

"I'll be on a whirlwind tour of the Townships starting Sunday. Too bad the 2-4 feet that are going to hit the Washington DC area this weekend can't find its way north."

The Environment Canada website is calling for periods of snow Sunday and Monday. (http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pag ... ric_e.html) If you want glades your best bets are Sutton and Orford. You'll have a blast!

I primarily ski the townships. So far this year, I've had some great days at Bromont, Sutton and Owl's Head as well as XC at Mont Megantic (a must for the nordic fans)

Went to Orford once and it was a huge letdown (similar to the Mont St-Anne story above, but without the rain, just misting so they closed 2/3rd of the mountain- arggs)

I'll do a TR on my next trip.

colin_extreme":26kgva31 said:
Went to Orford once and it was a huge letdown
IMHO, Orford is the Eastern Townships version of Whiteface. Steepest terrain , consistent vertical, etc., but very volatile snow (yearly averages aren't much more than Belleayre in the Catskills). I've had a couple thigh-deep blower days there, and hideous ice/boilerplate on other visits. Gotta move fast and get it while it's good... same deal as anywhere else in the east.

Agreed.. I've yet to have a killer day at Orford, or even try all the glades there. I think wednesday night's snowfall is pretty typical of the townships:

Jay Peak: 20 - 25cm
Sutton: 15 - 18cm
Owl's Head: 8cm
Orford: 5cm
Bromont: 0cm
Montreal: Dusting

Wish I'd seen that one coming.. Love a powder day at Sutton

colin_extreme":iacl8hwp said:
Love a powder day at Sutton
Yep. Sutton often gets only 50-70% of Jay's snow from any given storm, but without the wind, which makes a big difference. My favorite of the Township ski hills.

I'm bummed that Mont Glen and Mont Shefford are NELSAPed again.

Not to let out any secrets.. but i've skiied shef a bunch of times this year.. once was the best powder of the season

I plan to hike glen pretty soon, but I hear the new owner is a dick.. any experience?

colin_extreme":4st9fc3l said:
Not to let out any secrets.. but i've skiied shef a bunch of times this year.. once was the best powder of the season. I plan to hike glen pretty soon, but I hear the new owner is a dick.. any experience?
I've only skied them once each, six years ago, but they were memorable days.

Try to ignore the formatting errors:
http://snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=doc739

colin_extreme":v91vdr2t said:
I plan to hike glen pretty soon, but I hear the new owner is a dick.. any experience?

Glen doesn't want anyone on their property (confirm by a few people). One of the plans was to create a Private Ski Club, but I haven't heard anything in the last year.

admafw":v91vdr2t said:
Been years between trips to Ste. Anne - will likely never return. I’ve skied after rain/freeze events at Killington, Loon and Cannon. Even an underfunded state area like Cannon will send groomers up the hill in the middle of the day – not Ste Anne. Sent off a nasty e-mail to Ste Anne. I can only assume RCR treats all skiers at all their hills with equal disdain. Likely back to Sutton later this year.

You have to agree that your timing sucked for weather wise. Most ski area litterary went for everything to almost everything to a handful of run for 1-2 day period. However you wouldn't be the first skier with a bad experience dealing with MSA. Check out this old report from Max back in the Spring of 2004 (I was there the day they shutdown early), but wasn't given any assurances from the resort being open and didn't sleep there.

Max":v91vdr2t said:
My friends and I were supposed to be skiing at Ste-Anne for the week-end, but on Saturday PM, while the upper mountain and all the North Side were in a snowstorm, we were told the resort would:

A- close half an hour earlier;
B- be closed on the Sunday...

So they skied and did a car runs at Le Massif.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=4962

Tony Crocker":v91vdr2t said:
I'm a bit curious why we don't see more reports from our eastern Canadian contingent from the Townships. The border crossings into the US have become more of a nuisance and these areas probably do get the most lift served natural snow in eastern Canada.

I personally prefer NVT to the Eastern Townships. Vertical, snow, terrain.

Orford has the terrain, but doesn't have the snow + a few others factors.
Sutton terrain is okay, has snow, but lifts in a storm can be a factor.
Bromont? McBrome or Bromart...no thanks.
Owl's Head...nice, but...

It's true, that I lived further out, so If I would closer, I would be temped to ski these more often. Border crossing can be a pain, but it's definitely better always less of a hassle than flying Ottawa-Toronto or any other destination.

Tony Crocker":v91vdr2t said:
And from our departed friend Frank I recall the terrain quality is fairly decent also.
Frankontour/François on ZS was/is mainly a Laurentians skier, but he liked Orford. Haven't seem him post a TR from Orford in recent years.

admafw":v91vdr2t said:
If you want glades your best bets are Sutton and Orford. You'll have a blast!

Colin, there are a few people that ski the area that you describe...although I'm not one of them.

He'll need more snow than that to have a real blast at Orford, I'd choose Sutton for sure.

Back