Trusting the airlines

kingslug

So..simple question for those who have to fly to get the goods. I never book a connecting flight trip..except now. Going to Jackson. I want to take my new skis but don't trust them not to get lost..if they where cheap or old I wouldn't care..but not these...any thoughts..I don't mind taking the old Rossis and actually am not sure if its a good idea to take something that I have only skied 1 day on over to Jackson..it ain't Hunter mountain...
And yes I looked into shipping them but its pretty expensive....thoughts...

I'm stopping over in SLC then on to JAC
On the way back stopping over in Atlanta
Delta's policy is to cover up to 3000.00 worth of luggage..but I bet they would fight me about the skis..even with my receipt...yes..they where expensive...and took a month to make.

Ill just say don't bring cheap ones. Paying baggage fees and having so so skis makes less sense than just renting nice ones.

Or use fedex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've taken 3-ish flights a season for 15 years with ski equipment and have never had an issue. <knocking on all the wood I can find not to jinx myself> In recent years I've changed to carrying on the boots, partially because I worried more that they arrived safely - but mostly because I'm too cheap to check them.

My experience is that the airlines not infrequently fail to get luggage through connections (I have have a perfect :evil: 4 for 4 record on Euro ski trips) but have never had luggage disappear permanently. So the skis are delayed 2-3 days, you rent demos and send them the bill (Fernie 1999, Utah coming back from France 2008 and the Arlberg 2013). So no I wouldn't be that worried about having those expensive skis disappear. I have learned my lesson after 2008 about carrying on boots, especially if there are connections.

Kingslug probably knows that my skis made it to Zermatt on my flight but my suitcase did not. I had a complete set of ski clothes in my boot bag backpack, but Liz and I still went shopping after skiing Sunday and were reimbursed.

And FYI to Kingslug: Liz and I expect to be skiing in Jackson starting Wednesday of the Diamond Dogs week.

Cool..then I'll see you there.
The reason I'm paranoid is the last time I went to Tahoe 8 years ago they lost almost everyone's bags. they did find them and sent them to our hotel..where they deposited in the middle of the parking lot in the middle of the night. I told them to ring my bell any time..the manager almost ran over my wife's bags but mine where gone...they reimbursed me for everything after I told them what happened..but I'm always worried about it...my boots never leave my sight.

Tony Crocker":2ujgj689 said:
I had a complete set of ski clothes in my boot bag backpack, but Liz and I still went shopping after skiing Sunday and were reimbursed.

+1. This is what I do anytime I travel to ski....boots and 1 set of ski clothes in the bootbag as carry-on. You said your baggage is insured upto $3k. So, worst case scenario you are covered and you demo skis. (Your homeowner's/renter's ins. may possibly cover this too). Plus, it's the skier not the skis anyway. But, boots....now those matter.

Enjoy Jackson!!

Tony Crocker":22jrw8zl said:
My experience is that the airlines not infrequently fail to get luggage through connections (I have have a perfect :evil: 4 for 4 record on Euro ski trips) but have never had luggage disappear permanently.
It's all anecdotal. Like SKI-3PO, I've gone on three destination trips a year since 2001 -- including four times to JAC (always on Delta from EWR, changing in SLC) -- and never had an issue. No problems going to Europe either, although from NYC it's almost always nonstop unless going to a smaller airport like Innsbruck.

jamesdeluxe":hhsbkuht said:
It's all anecdotal.

Very much so. I've been very lucky on all recent flying trips in the past roughly decade... On the other hand on my Euro trip in 2012 my brother was without ALL of his luggage for 4 days until it made it via taxi all the way from Grenoble to LaGrave.

But then if you've been on a "United Express" flight landing at DIA in the past month you've been basically guaranteed to have your bags go missing for weeks or even permanently lost.

Just going to bring the old Rossis..I'm not all comfy with the Wagners after only 1 day on them so I'll stick with what I know for now...I'll bring them to Vail for sure...

Back