Vail, CO, March 26, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Although Vail reported 5 inches new snow Tuesday, we did not get started at Lionshead until 10AM. We assumed Vail would have been hammered on Monday given consensus opinion that it’s much busier than Beaver Creek.

Liz and were also not exactly bursting with energy after Monday’s 5+ hour powderfest. I said that we needed to find fun and interesting terrain without taxing ourselves too much, but that we were on one of the best mountains in the world for that plan.

We had short liftlines on Born Free and Avanti to start the day. A local intermediate on a chair ride warned us that the direct lines into Game Creek were unpleasant from sun exposure. However 15 inches of snow in 3 days has gone a long way toward burying last week’s spring conditions. Most turns on the Faro run we skied were in lightly cut powder. The same was true for more favorably exposed Baccarat.

Game Creek did not have a lift line, but the chair was stopping a lot, and in any case I wanted to ski through some of the Back Bowls to Blue Sky Basin.

Weather was a bit colder than Monday, with occasional wind on a few lifts and the top of Game Creek was in fog when we left. We dropped immediately into Morningstar Ridge which had some trees for perspective. Once through the trees the fog eased off some and by skiing a diagonal line at intermediate pitch once again most of the turns were in powder.
IMG_5719.JPG

We rode High Noon and skied groomed slot to the Sun Up lift. We started down the ridgeline under Sundown Express as it had a layer of windsift. We dropped left in Genghis Khan with a few scraped turns when it was steeper at the top. But the rest of the run had large patches of mixed powder and windsift.
IMG_5724a.JPG

Note the heavy crowd that Liz is competing with for this mostly untracked snow about 11:30am.

We skied past Orient Express and rode Skyline into Blue Sky Basin. On a 6 inch day in 2015 I had a few nearly untracked runs off Earl’s lift. It wasn’t quite like that but still mostly powder turns.
IMG_5730.JPG

We left this area via Lovers Leap in my case, view back up from below:
IMG_5733.JPG

There’s a somewhat tedious exit trail below leading to Pete’s lift. Liz skied the longer fall line of Heavy Metal though went off trail trying to get to the lift. I skied the mellow Grand Review and we regrouped at Sundown Express. View back to Blue Sky Basin:
IMG_5735.JPG

We skied our only crappy snow conditions of the day in Dragon’s Teeth to reach Orient Express.
IMG_5736.JPG

I wanted to check out Mongolia Bowl, which I had only skied a couple of times and did not recall well. We were on our way to the poma lift when I noticed lightly tracked snow on the east facing snow below the cat walk. Since the poma terrain faced more directly south and it was past 2PM, we decided to seize the bird in the hand, Gorky Park. The pitch was very intermediate with mostly powder turns.
IMG_5740.JPG

We skied the exit road back to Orient Express, both agreeing that we were badly in need of a break at Two Elk. As we exited Orient Express the skies unloaded, dumping snow. The heavy snow continued through our soup lunch and the Flapjack, Whistle Pig and Born Free runs we needed to ski via Northwoods and Wildwood to return to Lionshead.

We finished at exactly 4pm with 24,400 vertical including about 5K of powder. Despite the oft valid critiques of Vail the corporation, Vail the mountain remains a favorite per my start of the day prediction and disperses its crowds extremely well, as noted in the handful of pics I took today.

I get the feeling that if certain people of this forum aren't skiing powder or balls in your throat terrain, they are not not maximizing their time or fun.. A couple of runs on extremely challenging runs is fun and important. Challenging yourself does help one grow.. IMO nothing beats terrain where you can let it rip and just get into the flow. I don't need to test my self arrest skills.

By the way i'm jealous. Colo looks like it's firing on all cylinders.

Despite the oft valid critiques of Vail the corporation, Vail the mountain remains a favorite
Haven't been there in 20 years since instructor Ric Reiter guided my wife and me but would like to go back on a day like this report (if I could figure out how to get reasonable lift tix). That looks about as good as it gets crowd- and conditions-wise there.

I get the feeling that if certain people of this forum aren't skiing powder or balls in your throat terrain, they are not not maximizing their time or fun..
I have no idea what you are talking about...

You also have to understand that that type of terrain for me is mostly what provides flow. Though the occasional ripper down a sweetly groomed blue is also fun at times.

That looks about as good as it gets crowd- and conditions-wise there.
Probably the best you can get for low crowds at Vail I suspect. Not a big powder day, but instead a mid-week day after several small refreshes can make for very nice skiing.

I assume Tony has both Epic and Ikon given this trip with several days of both.

Vail has lots of single-black pitches but does it have enough of ^^ that type of terrain to keep you interested?

Vail is so big that it is tough to get to it all; so it still has some exploration Interest. It has enough pitch on powder days as well for a lot of fun turns. But it has only a couple very short steeps. So an average ski day without powder or at least very soft snow to explore the details of areas.... then it's not very interesting and usually very crowded to boot (since I'm there on weekends).

I assume Tony has both Epic and Ikon given this trip with several days of both.
I don't think @Tony Crocker has an Epic. Hopefully he's getting ski journalist price/freebie or that Paul got him a $181! Buddy ticket. A friend of mine that Tony gave a great Spring tour of Mammoth a couple of years ago is now a Beaver Creek patroller and could probably get him a deal.

Last edited:
Yes we were on buddy tickets, but big picture not paying for hotels 4 nights. Last night in Aspen was $330 for the hotel but the two ski days are on Ikon. The 3 nights in Gunnison were $79/night at a Rodeway Inn recommended by Lonnie that had a hot tub and decent breakfast.

Including the days at Crested Butte the 5 ski days at Epic resorts were a little more cost than an Epic Local Pass. But we did not know were skiing Vail/Beaver Creek until about a week ahead. And Crested Butte less than a month ahead.

I get the feeling that if certain people of this forum aren't skiing powder........
I've addressed this point here. If that's your attitude you will be unhappy on the vast majority of destination trips.

balls in your throat terrain.....

I have no idea what you are talking about...
You also have to understand that that type of terrain for me is mostly what provides flow.
EMSC, like ChrisC, Lonnie and Patrick grew up racing through at least high school. Since even amateurs like myself are attracted to steep terrain near one's limits, some of these top level skiers are not that interested in resorts that don't provide at least some of it. EMSC is not ideally located in that regard because most of the I-70/northern Colorado areas don't have much in the way of steeps by Snowbird/Jackson/Palisades standards or even what I get at Mammoth. A-Basin in Pali/Beavers probably has more than the the rest of Front Range/I-70 combined. Thus it is puzzling in the last 3 years on Ikon EMSC has skied only 4 days at A-Basin. Race season for his son is over at the end of March and April is A-Basin's prime month???

I know that Vail has lots of single-black pitches but does it have enough of ^^ that type of terrain to keep you interested?
More than any other area in North America IMHO. And the single black natural terrain of the Back Bowls/Blue Sky Basin is inherently more varied and interesting than a bunch of single black cut trails.
Probably the best you can get for low crowds at Vail I suspect.
Tuesday of Easter Week when much of Mexico's upper class is there? The base area and the Avanti chair had lines. I suspect mid-Vail was very busy so we only passed through there once about 3:30 when it was puking snow.
Not a big powder day
5 inches new after 8 the day before. By my reference earlier in this post, this was a 90th percentile week for powder at Vail/Beaver Creek.
That looks about as good as it gets crowd- and conditions-wise there.
As noted, 90th percentile for the conditions part.

As for crowds, Vail is Exhibit A of my observation that that crowds do not distribute themselves rationally or efficiently in huge areas. Surely James observes this routinely in the Alps. Thus I feel confident that I can avoid the most congested times and locations as on March 26. I was definitely surprised at the amount of powder we got. Perhaps Easter Week discourages the local powderhounds and the tourists are skiing frontside groomers.

For some reason Vail has had a very negative public perception of crowding going back to my first visit in 1986. Thus both of my one week trips were in mid-January and some of the one or two day visits were pre-Christmas or in April. This one was prompted by the weather forecast for the snowy week.

Paul believes Vail is getting more crowded, or more specifically that there are more out-of-control skiers and riders than several years ago. Thus he spends much more time at Beaver Creek these days. There is no question that Beaver Creek and the Aspen areas are less busy than Vail, but the numbers make it clear that by lift capacity and skiable acreage that Vail is less busy than the Summit County areas and probably Winter Park and Steamboat as well. Overall for US ski resorts I'd say Vail is very average for crowds but its scale means that some outlying areas havee very low skier density.

I have skied 18 days at Vail averaging 24K vertical vs. 19K lifetime for all areas. For areas where I have double digit visits, that 24K is exceeded only at Mt. Bachelor and Sun Valley.

Last edited:
Vail is Exhibit A of my observation that that crowds do not distribute themselves rationally or efficiently in huge areas. Surely James observes this routinely in the Alps.
Agreed. During our Val d'Isere/Courchevel visit, it became clear to me how seldomly I actually visit huge areas as I repeatedly experienced industrial-destination culture shock, both on-mountain and in the base village, similar to how for example non-urbanites feel while navigating the crush of people while visiting certain parts of NYC.

I noted that through their nonstop travels Tony and Liz are far more zen about high-traffic areas, lift lines, crowded gondolas/restaurants, etc. than me. Of course, no one enjoys them; however, I get visibly uncomfortable and cranky. The only way through it is to "close my eyes and think of England."

EMSC has skied only 4 days at A-Basin. Race season for his son is over at the end of March and April is A-Basin's prime month???
Hahahahah, race season is almost never over of course. FYI, there are races on the schedule through mid-April then comes spring training at usually Winter Park through early to mid-May. etc... Not to mention work and real life to deal with on some weekends.

This year Jr is actually occasionally doing some team travel (for example he was in Crested Butte for 4 days in a row when I was on my guys trip). Plus, I think he getting a bit burned out by the racing this season (there are a million races it feels like this year, not all I have put up on FTO). So, we'll see, but I should get more availability to 'chase' as time goes on now that he is old enough (despite his huge height, he still only in 8th grade).

As for crowds, Vail is Exhibit A of my observation that that crowds do not distribute themselves rationally or efficiently in huge areas.
Agreed. Thus my comment on why I find exploration still interesting despite almost no real steeps.

Bad assumption on my part. Patrick’s coaching season is over at end of March, but that’s in the East.

OTOH I don’t consider A-Basin a “chase” for EMSC. Hopefully the I-70 weekend madness eases off in April so A-Basin becomes a reasonable daytrip, about like Mt. High for me.

OTOH I don’t consider A-Basin a “chase” for EMSC

Just a different use of the term. I mean 'chase' as in - I'm not already locked into exact days at exact resorts months in advance. I can start to pick and choose the best snow and terrain on the days it's best.

Back