Valhalla Powder Cats 1/17/2012

Here's a video that the catskiing.ca guys posted, were with them on the 2nd day. Best day of skiing I've ever had.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=855Nereyhq8[/youtube]

baldyskier":3egk72yi said:
Nice video and great pics in the previous link. With all the conifers, was the tree well danger high?

They obviously mentioned it but no one had any issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Love the terrain up there, and the snow can't be beat. We had the same conditions a few years ago and it was simply the best powder skiing I've ever done. It is addicting. When I go back, will definitely go with Valhalla again.

My first trip into the region was in 1997 and I've averaged once a year since. Most of the NASJA members were there for the first time this year and were quite impressed with Red, Whitewater and the towns of Rossland and Nelson.

With regard to cat skiing, it's worth doing some research and checking out new places. Island Lake was my first in 1997, a very good year so I returned there 2 of my next 4 trips, also did 4 trips to Chatter Creek and did not discover Mustang my current favorite until 2010.

Valhalla is one of the few that caters to daytrippers. That can lead to a slower pace and less skiing. When you go more than one day, you only spend that 2 hours on transceiver safety the first day. You also have a first long ride up in the morning as opposed to the places with a lodge located high within the ski terrain.

A couple of the NASJA photographers skied on assignment with Big Red; one of them said the runs were short and terrain not that exciting. The latter I suspect was probably due to the ski ability of the other clients. The area around Red Mt. also gets much less snow than the places north of Nelson.

Valhalla is northwest of Nelson and due west of Baldface; I would expect 400 inches minimum of snow and it could be 500. I've skied a bit with socal; I presume he was with a strong group of skiers at Valhalla or he would have said something about that. I am curious about a few things:
1) Any idea how long the typical run was and/or how much vertical for the day?
2) Does their terrain extend into the alpine or is it all in the trees? One Jan. 17 weather may have kept them in the trees, but some warmer days you want to stay up high and it's good to know if that option is available as at Mustang and Chatter Creek.

If you only have one day, Stellar Heliskiing in nearby Kaslo is another option. Skiing 4 to a group in an A-Star is more likely to produce a compatible group ability wise than 12 in a cat.

Tony Crocker":26f1s1on said:
My first trip into the region was in 1997 and I've averaged once a year since. Most of the NASJA members were there for the first time this year and were quite impressed with Red, Whitewater and the towns of Rossland and Nelson.

With regard to cat skiing, it's worth doing some research and checking out new places. Island Lake was my first in 1997, a very good year so I returned there 2 of my next 4 trips, also did 4 trips to Chatter Creek and did not discover Mustang my current favorite until 2010.

Valhalla is one of the few that caters to daytrippers. That can lead to a slower pace and less skiing. When you go more than one day, you only spend that 2 hours on transceiver safety the first day. You also have a first long ride up in the morning as opposed to the places with a lodge located high within the ski terrain.

A couple of the NASJA photographers skied on assignment with Big Red; one of them said the runs were short and terrain not that exciting. The latter I suspect was probably due to the ski ability of the other clients. The area around Red Mt. also gets much less snow than the places north of Nelson.

Valhalla is northwest of Nelson and due west of Baldface; I would expect 400 inches minimum of snow and it could be 500. I've skied a bit with socal; I presume he was with a strong group of skiers at Valhalla or he would have said something about that. I am curious about a few things:
1) Any idea how long the typical run was and/or how much vertical for the day?
2) Does their terrain extend into the alpine or is it all in the trees? One Jan. 17 weather may have kept them in the trees, but some warmer days you want to stay up high and it's good to know if that option is available as at Mustang and Chatter Creek.

Yes, our group was pretty advanced, honestly I like to think I'm an expert and ski everything smoothly but i was probably right in the middle or bottom half of our group (look at the pictures on the link and you'll see why ). Maybe we just got lucky but the guide told me when I asked about intermediate terrain for my fiancee in the future that they didn't really have any. In his words , take her somewhere else if she's an intermediate.

On #1 , our cat did 9 runs. We missed the first due to the safety briefing and 2 others due to some issues we had following directions ( got lost and had to trudge out without skins). Each run was probably 1300-2000 ft. Even with the safety briefing we easily could have gotten in 12-15k.

On #2, they have some alpine, after our little adventure being lost I was riding upfront to warm up and we had a little break in the clouds, Clark the cat driver was pointing out some alpine that their sister heli op uses, he said they can get just about to the same terrain.

Main issue I guess would be that its a 1 hr ride to the cat from their meeting spot. I'd love to try more operators but: m going to mainly be a day tripper due to financial reasons for a while.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Back