Warren Miller

JimG.

Was anyone else here aware of the apparent rift between Warren and his son as described in this quote from another site?:

"there's a reason behind the decline of the warren miller flicks in recent years. a few years ago he signed Warren Miller Entertainment over to his son. then his son sold the company to AOL/TW for $7 million. apparently, warren and son haven't talked since. this year the contract expired for Warren to narrate the films.. and nobody knows if he's going to renew."

I wondered why the more recent films lacked the raw imagination of older fliks. Sad to see because I work in an industry where I see alot of small businesses that are turned over to younger generations either run into the ground or sold for profit and then run into the ground. Sad (if true).

JimG.":3c0ii4q0 said:
Was anyone else here aware of the apparent rift between Warren and his son as described in this quote from another site?:

"there's a reason behind the decline of the warren miller flicks in recent years. a few years ago he signed Warren Miller Entertainment over to his son. then his son sold the company to AOL/TW for $7 million. apparently, warren and son haven't talked since. this year the contract expired for Warren to narrate the films.. and nobody knows if he's going to renew."

I wondered why the more recent films lacked the raw imagination of older fliks. Sad to see because I work in an industry where I see alot of small businesses that are turned over to younger generations either run into the ground or sold for profit and then run into the ground. Sad (if true).

What I can confirm as fact is that Miller transferred operation of the business over to his son, and that it has subsequently been sold to Time4 Media, the same arm of AOL Time Warner that owns SKI and Skiing Magazines.

whoa, i would definitely like to read up more about this. i only caught my first warren miller (so called i guess you could say after reading this post???) this year, so i have a lot of catching up to do! i have heard many people say 50 was his last great movie, so that would gel with the timeline of when he sold to his son? any one have links to additional info?

Fifty was indeed one of the best. It included some achival footage from earlier films. For that reason Warren was likely extensively involved in its editing. I had presumed he was still involved in editing as he does the narration. Does he not do the narration this year? Warren is 80 now, and he was already slowing down some when I met him at Yellowstone Club in 2001. He had a fairly serious multiple leg fracture in a boating accident a year or two before that.

Here in SoCal we get ski shows and Warren Miller films later than most regions (first week of December in both cases this year). With normal weather this makes sense, but this year it will be a bit strange with actual skiing starting over a month earlier.

Warren's new flick opens tonight at Kingston High School in my area; opening day at Hunter is tomorrow...this is the way God meant it to be :) !

RivercOil, there was a feature article in either Ski or Skiing last month that told the details of the story. It's mentioned on the front cover, in case you can find a copy on the shelf somewhere.

Back