Wengen to Jungfraujoch, CH, Jan. 20, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Belatedly I’m posting the report Fraser was requesting of the clear day in the Jungfrau. As expected going through the pics was time consuming.
Jungfrau-Ski-Trail-Map-2023.jpg

Liz and I spent three nights at the half board Alpenrose Hotel in Wengen. Since our first day Saturday was the only one with a clear weather forecast we prioritized the Jungfraujoch viewpoint at 11,300 feet. The train rides and activities consumed 3 hours so we only skied 12,200 vertical. The weather and being Saturday made it very busy. We were the only people wearing ski boots, as there were tons of Asian tourists who were spending 200CHF to go up there. It was 63CHF extra for us with a 3 or more day lift ticket.

From Wengen we started up this tram to Mannlichen.
IMG_3143.JPG

You are not skiing back down this way, and the only way up the Lauberhorn side which you can ski down is by train.

Almost immediately we rounded up someone to take our picture with the Eiger in background.
IMG_3149.JPG

We first skied under the Grindelwald-Mannlichen gondola. On a busy Saturday morning the line at its mid-station took 15 minutes.

Back up at Mannlichen, here’s the view down to Grindelwald, the largest lodging base:
IMG_4072.JPG

The shaded gully behind Liz still had some powder from the Wednesday/Thursday storm. I skied in it on the way to the Lager chair.

The Grindelwald/First ski sector is not directly across from the Mannlichen terrain as depicted on the trail map. It is on the far side of the ridge to the left of Grindelwald. That means it’s south facing as well as relatively low altitude so we were not tempted to go over there.

From Lager we skied to Gummi and then to Eigernorwand. We did not take laps on any of these lifts as it was close to noon and our priority was to get up to the Jungfraujoch. We took some of those ski laps Monday.

As Liz exits the Eigernorwand lift, the Eiger is in profile behind her.
IMG_4083.JPG

It looks like an average 70 degree slope over its 5,000+ vertical feet. The Matterhorn was first climbed in 1865 but the North Face of the Eiger was not climbed until 1938.

About 12:15 we reached the Eigergletscher building where we board the train up to the 11,362 foot Jungfraujoch.
IMG_3154a.JPG

The train was built into the rock between 1896 and 1912.

There is a 5 minute stop for this view out a window used for excavation during construction.
IMG_4089.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

Train at the window stop:
IMG_3164.JPG

There is an observation deck on the east side of the Jungfraujoch. On the south side is the head of the Aletsch Glacier.
IMG_4095.JPG

DSC00167.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

Aletsch is 31.5 square miles in area and 14 miles long, similar dimensions as the Tasman Glacier in New Zealand which I skied by plane in 1982.

Close view of the Monch:
IMG_4104.JPG

North side glacier, short as it falls off the precipitous cliffs:
IMG_4107.JPG

View east to the Jungfrau, peak at center with caked snow on its right flank:
IMG_4119.JPG

There are extensive inside exhibits at the Jungfraujoch.
IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

The above tunnel has pictures of the train construction workers. Perhaps this is where Snowbird got the idea for the Peruvian tunnel décor.

Next we descended into an ice tunnel.
IMG_4140.JPG

Now we know why we were the only people up there in ski boots.
IMG_3192.JPG

Ice sculptures:
IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_4147.JPG

We walked out the west side of the building to another viewpoint on the snow. Views from there:
IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

There is a private elevator up to Europe’s highest observatory.

We rode the train back down to the Eigergletscher station, arriving about 3:15. View to Klein Scheidegg train station and Eiger:
IMG_3212.JPG

We started down piste #32.
IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

We reached the Wixi chair.
IMG_4172.JPG

View up to Jungfraujoch and north side glacier falling off the cliff:
IMG_4174.JPG

Eiger and Monch in late afternoon sun:
IMG_4177.JPG

With the nice weather and being Saturday, lifts and pistes were very busy. So on the way to the Lauberhorn lift it was an easy call to bail off a catwalk onto this shaded slope.
IMG_4181.JPG

It was now after 4pm so time to head down toward Wengen with the Jungfrau in direct view.
IMG_4184.JPG

We skied on the blue 36 and 37 pistes as we suspected lots of scraped snow on the steeper Lauberhorn downhill at then end of a busy Saturday. But we had the Lauberhorn nearly to ourselves midday Monday with excellent conditions.

Last edited:
Sorry to:beating-a-dead-horse:the point about how sprawling these ski regions are -- and as noted, the three separate sectors aren't interconnected by lifts -- but that's 14 miles across:
jungfrau-ski-trail-map-2023-jpg.39162

there were tons of Asian tourists who were spending 200CHF to go up there. It was 63CHF extra for us with a 3 or more day lift ticket.
I'm sure that it was probably 40CHF cheaper when we were there in 2018 but I recall that we didn't buy a three-day lift ticket due to weather concerns so even if fog/low-vis hadn't nixed our plans to visit the Jungfraujoch on Day 3, we wouldn't have had the fiscal bandwidth for that. Take a look at my pix to see what Kleine Scheidegg/Männlichen looks like with no one there on a gorgeous day.

Were there any "the Jungfraubahn is not responsible for any injuries due to falls on the ice" signs?
img_3192-jpg.39135

Nice pics - always scenic. It looks like a successful visit to the Jungfrau region!

Ice caves?

I remember almost dying in ski boots at Engelberg at the Titlis summit.

More like ice skating through the exhibit....I assume you and Liz also did the ski boot shuffle there too.

as there were tons of Asian tourists who were spending 200CHF to go up there.

At the top of Engelberg/Titlis, I thought a group of Asian tourists were handing me their camera so I could take a photo of them. I was wrong. They wanted to take a photo of me. Seems like they had never seen a skier in the flesh. Mildly amusing.

Have you ever been to Hallstatt in the summer?
The one in Austria, yes two days during summer 1999. It rained the entire time though a couple of the main attractions are underground; the salt mine and the Dachstein ice cave.

I mean Hallstatt China?
The first reaction is to laugh at the Chinese; however, Vail and Solvang, CA immediately came to mind and then this article brings up other examples stateside.

I remember the first time I visited Quebec City (founded in 1608) with my at-the-time French wife; she immediately mentioned that it was a virtual carbon copy of Saint Malo in Brittany, so making Euro facsimiles has been going on for a long time!

Last edited:
Back