Where to Go for New Years?

They had fun both days but today was the day for me, it alternated between “bluebird” and skiing in a cloud with basically no visibility.

It looks like some great classic NW skiing - alternating visibility, some chowder snow, and great terrain. Much better than anything in the Western US right now.

Better than what you'd have been skiing in the Lower 48!
Final thoughts on the trip were it was a good call. The skiing on the upper mountain, while limited was great Some good short steep runs on the north face and lots of soft snow and lightly tracked powder. I will say that is a steep mountain top to bottom, very very little green terrain which was fine and really just cat tracks for lower intermediates. My kids are just at above lower intermediate level so it worked out. Also lessons were much cheaper than most, lodging difference made up airfare difference. Overall we probably spent a bit less than Jackson would have cost, so that wasn’t bad.

Going to Alaska was amazing, Girdwood is a really cool town, we plan to be back. Would love to ski the rest of the north face as the terrain and the access via the tram look amazing. We would plan a trip back again, but only if I can get in a heli, in the spring.

As for Targhee, I’ve been 3x, it is a good intermediate mountain but honestly unless there’s powder it’s not that interesting to me. Besides being a pretty boring destination it wasn’t on the IKON and like Jackson hadn’t gotten snow working at least 10 days of our expected arrival and no snow while we would have been there. I probably would’ve just canceled everything if Alyeska wasn’t on IKON.

Back