Why does Killington host FIS World Cups over Thanksgiving?

Zermatt-Cervinia's new downhill course, Gran Becca, has had a rather unsuccessful debut for two years, but I doubt they would ax it like Whistler:
  • Canceled in November 2023 for too much snow, wind, and weather for two separate weekends - men's and women's
  • Canceled in November 2022 for lack of snow
The Zermatt-Cervinia course has been controversial from the start, many people thought that the weather/wind for a downhill on the hill in November would be problematic; they only managed 2 training runs out and 0 races out of 10 days for Men and Women combined. Not sure if the races will survive with the so little return versus all the traveling, organizing, expenses by various teams involved. Only time will tell.

The Zermatt-Cervinia course has been controversial from the start, many people thought that the weather/wind for a downhill on the hill in November would be problematic; they only managed 2 training runs out and 0 races out of 10 days for Men and Women combined. Not sure if the races will survive with the so little return versus all the traveling, organizing, expenses by various teams involved. Only time will tell.

Gran Becca Race - Gone! Suprised - Solden could easily suffer the same problems in October (like this year).

After two failed attempts to stage the FIS Alpine World Cup’s first-ever cross-border race at the Matterhorn Ski Paradise, starting in Switzerland and finishing in Italy, the International Ski and Snowboard Federation (‘FIS’) together with the Local Organization Committee (‘LOC’) has decided to take the race off the racing calendar for the 24/25 ski season.

And Zermatt seems really pissed - no more FIS racers in the Summer!

1713903618200.png

Gran Becca Race - Gone! Suprised - Solden could easily suffer the same problems in October (like this year).

After two failed attempts to stage the FIS Alpine World Cup’s first-ever cross-border race at the Matterhorn Ski Paradise, starting in Switzerland and finishing in Italy, the International Ski and Snowboard Federation (‘FIS’) together with the Local Organization Committee (‘LOC’) has decided to take the race off the racing calendar for the 24/25 ski season.
I'm not surprised.
I could see this coming. Less worried about Solden.
Running a GS race doesn't require the same logistics and weather conditions as a speed event.
And Zermatt seems really pissed - no more FIS racers in the Summer!
I believe it's the national teams, not FIS racers. Not sure it's good economics in part of Zermatt as many spend some serious money for lane space, accommodations, etc.

Back