Wildcat Disappoints - 3/24/2007 - Long

qcanoe

I have a soft spot for Wildcat. I had my first real, thrilling, top-to-bottom run there in February of 1969, when I'd just turned 7. I still have a Kodachrome slide that my sister or mother took that day, my outfit complete down to the bamboo poles and cable bindings. I can remember like it was yesterday how angry my dad was at the bottom of 2000 feet of vertical because I had not stopped to wait for him at any intersections. Since I'd never been off the south slope at Cranmore before, which was a glorified pasture, it had never occurred to him that I might ski all three miles of the Polecat run without a pause. For the same reason, it had never occurred to me that I might not.

Then when I was a teenager I went there regularly - not frequently, but at least once a year - and I always thought it had the best terrain of any of the mountains I skied. By that time I had a couple of buddies who raced for the high school team, and trying to keep up with them was improving my skills quickly. So for me Wildcat was the scene not only of teeth-cutting but of some wild-oats sowing as well.

Anyway, my 8-year-old and I made the trek up there on Saturday (March 24), and I have to tell you it was a big disappointment, considering the perfect calm sunny weather and comfortable spring temperatures. First of all, there was a big race going on, and they'd closed off a big chunk of the mountain for that - the lower right quadrant as you look up from the base. This section has some of the best terrain, including the excellent Bobcat slope. Second, and much more significantly, the natural cover was basically gone. It was snowmaking trails only: Polecat, Lynx, Catapult, and Upper Wildcat were about it. All the other trails - roped off, obviously - were showing lots of grass and rocks with only patchy snow left. Note the lack of snow on Mt. Washington in the photo! Now this is not management's fault: You get the snow that you get, and obviously they had not gotten what Saddleback and Sugarloaf have gotten over the couple of months.

What really made the skiing disappointing was the apparent lack of appropriate application of grooming skill. For one thing, there wasn't a single pitch on the whole hill that had been left bumpy. Who every heard of spring skiing with no bumps? Secondly, the "groomed" runs - i.e., everything - were essentially sparsely scattered mounds of mashed potatoes on skied-off boilerplate. I'll take consistent hardpan any day over the psychologically cruel bait-and-switch of conditions like this. (That's what my race skis are for!) Even though the temperature was already in the upper thirties when we got on the hill, scratchy was the name of the game until at least 1:30, by which time temps were well into the '40s and the ice finally began to soften up a bit. All in all, conditions were closer to what you'd expect at 3pm on a bitter January holiday Saturday than on a warm spring noontime with no liftlines. I wasn't there early, so I can't say for certain that they didn't groom on Friday night, but I can say that if they did they did a lousy job of it.

The last straw was simply the emotional difficulty of seeing the way things have run down a bit there. For example, the gondola summit station once had a nice little snack bar with picture windows looking out across the valley at the Presidential range. This was great spot to warm up on a typically frigid Wildcat day, and had the great benefit of allowing you to take a run and warm up your muscles immediately, before having to get back on the cold lift again. Now it looks like it should be condemned. I'd only been to Wildcat a couple of times in the last five years, and in hindsight I can see that there has been a pattern of weakness in the quality of the experience that they offer. In the course of extolling the virtues of big mountains with good, consistent pitch, like Stowe and Sugarbush and Mad River and Wildcat (and unlike Sunday River or Bretton Woods or Loon, for example), I've often commented that "you can't buy terrain." I still believe that. But you can neglect it.

Attachments

• TRAndMtW_Small.JPG
    TRAndMtW_Small.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,838
Hey qcanoe, welcome to the Forums at FTO. In Wildcat's defense (see my Saddleback, ME report from Sunday) (and, for what it is worth, I am usually the last person to defend Wildcat!), it has been raining and freezing up all week in the mountains. I suspect that the reason the ropes were pulled over many trails was boiler plate conditions on the natural snow trails. This also makes grooming a trail nicely very difficult for ski area operators. When we get into a rain/freeze cycle, I give ski area operators some slack when ropes start being pulled and trails are extra crunchy and firm. Once we have a few 40-50 degree days with no rain/freezes, things should corn up nicely and I am sure there will be good bumps at Wildcat. Sorry to hear of your disappointments, but I suspect conditions were similar throughout New England this weekend (as my Sunday trip report can attest).

riverc0il":3mkffxla said:
Sorry to hear of your disappointments, but I suspect conditions were similar throughout New England this weekend (as my Sunday trip report can attest).

Hi. Thanks for the welcome. I liked your Saddleback post. That's generally my favorite mountain - for the atmosphere as much as for the terrain - and I'm lucky enough to have hit several epic days there already this year. I agree about the tight trees, about the need for a "haircut" on some of the runs, and with your opinion that the newly cut Parmachenee is a sweet trail.

I don't doubt that conditions were less than optimal there on Saturday, too. The fact that anyone would even consider opening a glade run there, though, shows that they've got way more cover than Wildcat, where the glades were quite literally more brown than white. The season is clearly done there. Meanwhile I've talked to a couple of reliable friends who reported first-rate spring conditions at Sunday River both Saturday and Sunday. I doubt very much that they had a lot better weather at the River during the previous week than at Saddleback and Wildcat, both of which are much higher at both base and summit. Therefore I have to assume it's about grooming - not necessarily just grooming the night before, but over the course of the season.

Despite not skiing much the last two years, I totally agree with your Wildcat assessment. In 2003, 2004 I had a pass their and noticed a big change from 2003-2004. The terrain is outstanding and I wound up defending Wildcat for those 2 years at the local pubs, but not anymore. I would discuss my love for the place with vigor at the Red Fox, but I'ld be lying now. I've been there two time each year fornthe last 3 and have been greatly dissapointed. I made 1 pilgramage to Cannon this year and had great fun despite sucking royally. I think I'll focus on the Cannon/ Burke areas next year. Too bad, there's a huge spot in my heart for the place.

zamboni":2dc8aq0p said:
Despite not skiing much the last two years, I totally agree with your Wildcat assessment. In 2003, 2004 I had a pass their and noticed a big change from 2003-2004. The terrain is outstanding and I wound up defending Wildcat for those 2 years at the local pubs, but not anymore. I would discuss my love for the place with vigor at the Red Fox, but I'ld be lying now. I've been there two time each year fornthe last 3 and have been greatly dissapointed. I made 1 pilgramage to Cannon this year and had great fun despite sucking royally. I think I'll focus on the Cannon/ Burke areas next year. Too bad, there's a huge spot in my heart for the place.

Again the past few seasons have been pretty bad snowfall wise.

Perhaps I should rethink Wildcat as a priority stop when I'm at Bretton Woods next March 26-30. However, I have no doubt I'll get up to date advice here next year on where to go.

FYI, there may be a few other NASJA members interested in Tucks next year if conditions are right.

Back