Wildcat, nh, 2-24- Loon, nh, 2-24- stowe , vt 2-25

joegm

drove over to wildcat on tuesday morning... the weather forecast i saw said 10 to 15 mph winds ....actually it was 70 mph winds....still not sure what to say about that so ill say nothing... there was no quad running at cat , so we got back in the car and drove all the way back to lincoln ](*,) and went to loon where there certainly were not 70 mph winds...unfortunately there was also not much to ski either....they tried to put in bumps on flume i guess on sat, but screwed it up and it was junk by tuesday..... ](*,) they looked they got about 12 inches from the weekend storm and subsequent blow fest of wind on monday...but at least they were spinning the lifts ... skied a lot mikes way and low angle trees .. mikes way actually has some pretty outstanding coverage considering it is loon

not being able to take skiing loon again we made the drive over to stowe today...i can hardly type this im so tired but in a nutshell today was in the top 5 ski days i have ever skied anywhere... blue sky, no wind at all and about 30 for a temp......started out on gulch and worked our way north around the horn....centerline, lookout, starr and goat all as good as i can ever remember skiing... i have never been able to charge goat as hard as i did today...super soft , hardly any ice , as even left right turns as you will ever see .... chin clip was off the charts... i think i read they groomed it out on friday and today it was set up with medium sized bumps all the way down....like goat , i have never charged chin clip as hard as i did today....nosedive glades had some of the softest snow i have ever skied in a tree line....hacketts and tress amigos off the charts as well.... staying in stowe tonight and gonna ski it again tomorrow...for our purposes, this place pretty much puts everywhere else to shame except for wildcat in the spring... there's no place like stowe indeed.... =D>

agreed with most here except for skiing mildcat, yes, wildcat is pretty mild, in the spring. sure it's good, but have you skied the loaf in spring? surprised you didn't hit sunday river yesterday instead of loon. yer pass is good there and the skiing was really, really good with soft trees/bumps all over.
rog

Contrasting joegm's first 2 paragraphs, maybe, just maybe he should consider relocating his base of operations. :wink:

It does seem logical that the bailout from Wildcat should have been to Sunday River for reasons icelantic said.

Tony Crocker":hnxsukz5 said:
Contrasting joegm's first 2 paragraphs, maybe, just maybe he should consider relocating his base of operations. :wink:

It does seem logical that the bailout from Wildcat should have been to Sunday River for reasons icelantic said.

the last thing i'm going to do is turn this into a sunday river rip fest, but.....no way... sunday river does not hold a candle to stowe... that is just my opinion and it is just that... an opinion... but it is a very strong one.... i've skied both places at least 15 times each and again, in IMO they don't compare...

the lift layout is one issue... i hate the lift layouts at SR...multiple lifts required to move around the hill....stowe's lift layout is brilliant and only wildcat comes close in that dept.......

lines... as in ski lines... there is nothing at SR that compares to what i just skied for the last 2 days....today, i skied what i think was the sickest steep mogul lines i have ever skied on lookout and starr and goat at stowe... there was not one spec of ice from the very top entrance....lookout and goat are the 2 sickest trails in NE in my opinion... white heat at SR and OL at K are wind blown hardpack junk compared to them....chin clip is an 1800 ft vertical, wind protected bump trail that has a pitch that can be charged by aspiring bumpers...again, nothing at SR compares....

line set up...the bump lines i was skiing today , even on the less steep, so more likely less skilled skiers were likely, the set up of the bumps was stunning...i know some are going to misinterpret this as me being some sort of a snob elitist, but there is nothing i can do about that and i know it's not true as i have beaten the drum for intermediate pitched bumps for a long time now, but man, the lines at stowe were stunningly consistent... the only explaination is the skier....there are clearly better skiers OR less unskilled skiers skiing the bump lines at stowe than at SR and therefore, superior lines...

glades, between access to them as ref earlier by lift layout and the cuts, IMO , nothing holds a stick

snow, stowe gets way more snow

today at stowe we woke up to 6 inches of new snow... the lift report called it 2 to 3 but that was put out at about 6 am.. it was snowing until about 10... by noon the blue sky had come out and the temps soared to the high 30's....did not wait in a lift line all day between gondola and 4 runner.. literally ski on ...
in my 10 year ski career, have not had a better 2 day trip....maybe have had equally as good single days, but never a better 2 dayer

i know bob r and ice , 2 guys whose opinions i respect, like SR... im not ripping SR... it's just that for what our crew is looking for, and having skied both , as i said , enough to know them pretty well, stowe rules the NE world IMO... do i get turned off by the almost obscene opulence that has sprung up there?.. yeah sure, definitely... the new hotel they have there is beyond belief in it's extravagance and how it caters to the rich...but if those people keep that 4 runner and gondola going and getting me access to the lines, i'll deal with staying in town with the little people....none of those people staying in at the palace are skiing the goods anyways...

tony, have you ever skied stowe???

ice, sugarloaf is , for me, too far of drive to be worth it... just being honest with you man....

The Sunday River comment was not vs. Stowe, it was vs. driving back to Loon once you decided to bail on Wildcat.

I did ski Stowe in 2003 and liked it better than MRG or Jay on the next 2 days. From that trip and what I read here I believe Stowe is overall (snow, terrain) the best lift service in the Northeast.

joegm":22nz6z9d said:
ice, sugarloaf is , for me, too far of drive to be worth it... just being honest with you man....
I lived in central CT for most of my ski life before moving west. In 22 years I skied Loon once, SR 3 times, and Sugarloaf around 100 days. Door to door was nominally 7+ hrs, sometimes 12. The drive was always worth it. Besides, I could always get a cheap lobster dinner in Kittery on the way home!

driving to sunday river from wildcat because wildcat was on 70 mph plus wind holds, we determined made little sense... we thought about it... for about 3 seconds... the goal was to ski... not to stand around waiting for winds to die down....loon was the best strategic play / option we had at that moment... we knew we were blowing out of town and driving to stowe the next day....going back to loon was no brainer that day... we got lucky and hit stowe on what was arguably the 2 best days of the year...the benefit and in my opinion one of the strategic benefits of lincoln , nh is it allows accessability to anywhere in new england - x out southern VT ,mainly stratton, and the outpost sugarloaf, ( places i have no desire to ski ), in about 2 hours...again tony, send me the check for the place in lincoln, and add in 200K more and i'll be in stowe for sure :drool: ...

different strokes for different folks... but i think driving 7 to 12 hours each way for a day trip is insane...and if i did, it sure as hell would not be to sugarloaf.... but that's just me... i won't do it and i don't know anyone that would on a regular basis...

i love looking at killer still shots as much as the next but i don't post photos because, SOMETIMES, i don't think they tell the whole story and can be quite illusionary...that 's all i'll say about karl's photo's... and by the way, i know Karl.. he's been around the lin/wood area for a while , is a good guy and worked at loon about 10 years ago

joegm":cphxyfid said:
...but i think driving 7 to 12 hours each way for a day trip is insane...
As do I and I think most folks with a grasp of reality! I never suggested that kind of drive for a day trip.

again tony, send me the check for the place in lincoln, and add in 200K more and i'll be in stowe for sure
Some Vermont town not actually in a resort but easy access: Waterbury, St. Johnsbury, even White River Junction. Are those places more expensive than NH? I'll defer to the locals for details.

joegm":l6vqwxv0 said:
......sugarloaf is , for me, too far of drive to be worth it... just being honest with you man....
It is too much for the day trips....but even if spending a couple days(lodge in Stratton(ME)..~7mi past/north of the Loaf)....THE key is to pass through Massachusetts early in the morning...~2-3am! Having to deal with Mass drivers(Mass to Portland(ME)) after 11am is what really adds onto the brain drain.... :lol:
$.01

Back