Wildcat NH - May 6, 2007

Patrick

This is a late report.

I made it out last Sunday on the last day of Lift-serviced skiing in the East. The weekend options were Sugarbush, Killington or Wildcat. Mont St-Sauveur was also open and although that it was slightly more than 2 hours from Ottawa, it wasn't an option at all, especially with it's 1.5 trails.

Killington had 9 runs for $41 + 3 hours from Montreal

Sugarbush maybe 3 runs for $25 for the weekend. 2.5 hr from MTL

Wildcat up to 22 runs for $29 on over 2100ft vert at 3.5 hr from MTL.

The choice was a no-brainer. Earlier in the week I decided to contact Wake (new on FTO and regular on zoneski). The last time that I skied with him was last year in a snowstorm at Snowbird (yes, Utah). We said that it would be fun to team up together one day this season, I guess when my regular long trip partner wasn't available and that I saw on ZS that Wake was thinking of skiing at MSS on Sunday...I just though about sending him a PM. Geez, the internet is great sometimes. :p

After much thinking, Wake finally choose Wildcat over MSS. I was sure that he wasn't going to regret it.

Weather was chilly in the morning, I actually had to wear winter gear (tuque, google, ski jacket) to start off the day. The trees at the top of mountain were covered with frost. For our first run were headed toward Upper Wildcat, however we had to turn off on Upper Catapult because UW was still closed. Skiing at mid-mountain we had a few options - Middle Catapult or M Wildcat. Lowerdown, you could ski Lower Catapult, Bobcat and Cheetah. We did a good survey of the possible open terrain with this run, on the next one we left on the other side of the Quad. Can't exactly remember what we did next, Polecat or Lynx (top to bottom). There was a sign at the top, "Might required some walking". Both runs were great, we had Lynx all to ourselves. There was some walking required on Lower Polecat, a small 10-15 feet after over 2100 vertical feet of skiing. The other option was Stray Cat, here the walking might have been 50 feet. The walking became longer during the day and this part of the trails was dissapearing fast. Nevertheless, we skied these runs again. Once we were back to the other side of the mountain, Wildcat was opened top-to-almost-bottom. The run had bumps, however the best part was the final pitch right before Middle Wc. Beautiful bumps, Wake was happy (He likes bumps like Joe). 8)

There were a few expert runs open, however Upper Wildcat was the highlight run. The other black runs were Middle Catapult (a few bumps) and the steep part of Lift Line. This run was a narrow, steep and bumped ribbon of snow with thin cover between the bumps. I'll remember my crash there for a while. :shock: :roll: A tiny patch of bumps was also to be found near Lynx Connection I believe.

The snowpack at the Upper Mountain was amazing, it didn't feel like the last day of the season, the air was also cool. Once past mid-mountain who could feel the difference in temperature, at the base of the mountain snow depth was thin on the way to the lift (or no existent for the end of the runs (Lower Polecat and Stray Cat) of the left side of the lift).

After lunch he made some wardrobe changes. Walking back to the lift, Bendude (FTO and ZS) comes by and greets us, he was also down from Montreal with his girlfriend, we did a few runs with him. After that on the bumps pitch on Wildcat, Wake ran into Max (used to write more often on FTO and ZS also).

Skied until the last lift and finish our run at 4:15pm. What a beautiful May Day this was...8)

After our day of skiing, I showed Pinkham Notch Visitor Center to Wake, he had never been. I guess the visit and the view of Mount Washington really makes it tempting. I saw on ZS that he was heading to Tuckerman Ravine yesterday for the first time.

I took a few pics and so did Wake. Once I get Wake's pics, I'll post them here.

In the meanwhile, here is Wake's report on ZS:

http://forums.zoneski.com/index.php?showtopic=7777&st=0

Suunto numbers:

runs: 11
time: 5:39
Descent: 7029m/23061ft

Here is a list of open trails...

Upper Mountain:
Upper Polecat - open
Upper Lynx - open
Upper Catapult - open
Top Cat - open
Lift Lion - partially open
Upper Wildcat - open

Middle Mountain:
Middle Polecat - open
Tomcat - open
Catnap - open
Cat Track - open
Middle Wildcat - open
Middle Lynx - open
Middle Catapult - open

Lower Mountain:
Stray Cat - open
Lower Polecat - open
Easy Way - open
Bobcat - open
Cheetah - open
Alley Cat - open
Lower Cat Track - open
Lower Lynx - open
Lower Catapult - open

Wildcat Trail map

http://www.skiwildcat.com/06images/trailmap.jpg

Good report , Wildcat over MSS is a no brainer :!: Will be down in the Presidentials to hike in July . With one run MSS should have offered free skiing or $10.00 ticket for charity or something like that . They were still charging $26.00 more than Alta mid winter :lol:

Oh, man, I saw you there taking picts at the top of the quad and thought "could that be Patrick?" from all the TR picts I've seen of you over the years. I'm sorry I didn't come over to say hello, but I had to chase the girlfriend. She's a keeper, I can't let her get away!

Great TR, I'm glad you guys posted the picts on ZoneSki, I was wishing I had brought my camera to get a picture of this:

post-14-1178594776_thumb.jpg

Lftgly":r9au497l said:
Oh, man, I saw you there taking picts at the top of the quad and thought "could that be Patrick?" from all the TR picts I've seen of you over the years.

Oh man, is right.

TR pics taken by someone, as I rarely bother bringing my camera and when I do, I rarely bother scanning them. :wink:

Lftgly":r9au497l said:
Great TR, I'm glad you guys posted the picts on ZoneSki.

Wake even made a small video, pretty good considering that we almost didn't film at all.

PS. I tried to best last year July Mammoth crash on film. :roll: Where? Liftline narrow bumped strip of snow.

http://www.zoneskitv.com/view_video.php ... 295cc484e5

salida":36h2crgs said:
here is my crash of the same weekend (...) from a few angles

WOW... :shock:

Good crash, however I'm more amazed that it was on film, not on one, but three different angles.

At least one of your skis came off. Wake didn't realize until I told him that I didn't loss a ski.

I believe this is my only crash on video, late year crash at Mammoth might have been the first ever on camera. The pics and videos for me are like looking at a car accident over and over again. For some reason, I don't stop relooking at it. :oops: :?

Happy you've been up at Tuckerman Salida. I presume that you've been up a few times?

Nice tumble Salida! The first and third videos look a heck of a lot worse than the second video. Good friends make sure they remind you of a great crash for years. Great friends make sure they get it on video from three different angles for the entire world to review!

:lol:

Hope you're feeling okay after that one.

Left knee is still a bit sore, but I should be alright... It was a weird accident... Anyways, carpe skiem!

Sorry - we only stopped by the side of the road and snapped a couple. check the ones around that one on that fickr link for a couple more.

cheers

stevey":2d0vg3sq said:
Sorry - we only stopped by the side of the road and snapped a couple. check the ones around that one on that fickr link for a couple more.

cheers

Darn... Thanks any ways though. I think I may just go for it monday since Tucks is looking quite crappy. Worse comes to worse I end up waist deep in a frigid Monroe Brook...

Back