Wolf Creek, CO, March 8, 2024

EMSC

For day two of the guys trip we shortened the drive to 'only' 1:45 each direction from Durango. This turned out to be the favorite of most of the crew. a bit softer and better snow (up to 6-8" in places from several day old snow combined with very widely spaced trees that they all loved. A somewhat repeat of the weather from the prior day with snow in the afternoon forecast but sunny in the morning.

Deciding not to hike, we took the beginner lift up traversing to Treasure lift for a real 'warm-up' lap. three of us immediately decided to hike Alberta Peak while the sun was out. A mix of wind affect firm and soft wind-sift snow on the peak. but soft again in the trees skiers right of Waterfall. This was followed by 2 laps of hiking the Knife Ridge and finding a nearly un-skied chute #3 under one of the Gazex tubes. with further lightly skied 6-8" on the next pitch directly below the chute for a very nice couple of runs.

Turns out the freshly cooked hamburgers at the grill bottom of Alberta were shockingly good, definitely recommend.

We proceeded to explore skiing the Waterfall area finding that gate 4 was too cliffy or only moderate pitch, but Gate 5 had an entry and some treede areas with only a light ab=mount of tracks in the 6-8" from earlier in the week. To ski Waterfall is a 2 lift exercise taking Elma to Treasure. Skiing the Pitch near Alberta face then across the flats to the Waterfall area. It's reasonably efficient too. Unlike before Elma lift existed.

Snow finally came in about 2:30p. By 3:15p we topped out on Treasure lift for another lap to a ski patroller greeting and telling everyone they were shutting down for the day due to Lightning in the vicinity. That is about the 8th time or so that I've had a ski area shut down for lightning. The drive back to Durango was way less eventful with only a bit of snow early on the pass and sun out with 42F temps in Durango itself.

Treasure Lift
20240308_103057.jpg

The forever traverse to Alberta Peak
Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Not cold, not too warm
Image00004.jpg

I always think the traverse is worse than the actual hike.
Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Gratuitously too many pictures
Image00007.jpg

Wind firm snow in this spot
Image00009.jpg

Image00010.jpg

Image00012.jpg

Yes, that is scaffolding holding up the unload ramp and liftie hut. at the top of Alberta Lift..
Image00014.jpg

It's a really short but interesting hike to the Knife Ridge
Image00015.jpg

Image00017.jpg

Starts off about 4 feet wide at the end of the walkway
Image00018.jpg

4 of these on the ridge...
Image00019.jpg

Very nice snow though...
Image00030.jpg

Image00032.jpg

Image00035.jpg

Uncrowded Lunch
Image00020.jpg

Waterfall area
Image00021.jpg

Image00022.jpg

Final run after the lightning
Image00023.jpg

This is the tiny town hill in Durango itself with a small terrain park and bump line. Surprised it is still open given the warm temps in town.
Image00024.jpg

The Waterfall area of WC was always my favorite when I lived in Pagosa. Re: Alberta peak.. yes, the traverse is worse than the short climb...

Talk about a small town Booming in the middle of nowhere...

Someone actually took video other than me for a change. A couple of still shots from that on the Knife Ridge:

Me in an action pic for a change. Taken at a slight angle that makes it look flatter than it is.
vlcsnap-2024-03-17-16h28m32s199.png

vlcsnap-2024-03-17-16h29m13s896.png

Tele fun
vlcsnap-2024-03-17-16h31m03s083.png

Back