foofyland pics...a few 4/22-4/29

salida":3e7jgoyj said:
icelanticskier":3e7jgoyj said:
salida":3e7jgoyj said:
Craig turns more than anyone I know. Saw his tracks on Gad 2 on Sun and ran into him out back on Mon.

lemme guess? was he lapping the birthday apron? tri's?

ya, he makes a few turns here and there. i make sure to prepare my lunch while he skis the 1st half of his lap, and eat the lunch on his second half. or on little sup, i coulda added a nap to my lunch routine. :mrgreen:

rog

Baldy bowl apron

ah yes! i should known....

rog

salida":2r5khptg said:
Ahhh to be stuck in NJ.
You're just jealous because I knew Craig during his formative years.

I served with Craig: I knew Craig; Craig was a friend of mine. Salida, you're no Craig.

That's cool. I've never met you, so it'd be hard for you to know.

Glad you're buddies with him.

This isn't a popularity contest, just stoked to see his tracks out and about in the Wasatch.

salida":2rdewa2e said:
That's cool. I've never met you, so it'd be hard for you to know.

Glad you're buddies with him.

This isn't a popularity contest, just stoked to see his tracks out and about in the Wasatch.

Young'uns...they just don't understand cultural context. :roll:

jamesdeluxe":252pqfsg said:
salida":252pqfsg said:
Ahhh to be stuck in NJ.

I served with Craig: I knew Craig; Craig was a friend of mine. Salida, you're no Craig.

Hilarious! That went over the heads of a few. :lol: :lol:

rfarren":1h3ahwke said:
jamesdeluxe":1h3ahwke said:
salida":1h3ahwke said:
Ahhh to be stuck in NJ.

Hilarious! That went over the heads of a few. :lol: :lol:

Even the Canadian got it. Nice James. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have different rulers in utah and california. lets just say that when skiing at alta/snowbird it is very easy to think the last snowfall report underestimated what you find on the ground, whereas at kirkwood the overestimation of snowfall is well known and so exaggerated that the snow report is a joke . the locals know that it is simply marketing to try to increase visitor visits.

There's a simple explanation for hayduke's impression. Sierra snow averages ~13% water content vs. ~8% at Alta. Your skis don't sink into the powder as much, or sometimes even at all if there's a lot of wind. Alta is remarkably well sheltered for an area that is that wide open. Mammoth, Squaw and Alpine Meadows usually have huge winds with their storms. Kirkwood has less wind but still more than Alta plus the 13% snow.

My best personal observation of a prodigious Sierra dump not translating into much powder was this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1573&p=8599&hilit=bishop#p8599. The marketing estimate of 95 inches from that storm turned out to be "only" 70 inches at the ski patrol plot near the Main Lodge. With usual wind deposition the upper mountain probably got at least 95 inches.

Sometimes the denser Sierra snow is an advantage. After a moderate storm of a foot or so your skis (particularly fats) will float in the new snow where you would be skiing mostly on the old subsurface if the new snow were low water content. But overall Alta/Snowbird deserve their reputation for the most consistent powder. A recent study of Alta's storms showed that they often tend to start out higher in water content, gradually decreasing as the storm continues. The result is a pleasantly fluffy surface with often enough dense snow below to prevent bottoming out on the old subsurface.

Back