Jay Peak 2/23 morning report

wind gust blows the pack over, so it rolls down the rest of the chute
#-o

Good thing the patroller didn't collar you before dropping in... all that stuff would've been sacrificed to the mountain (or the next person who skied through).

The chutes are where we were supposed to be and are the only openings in steep cliffs below the North Snowfields. After emerging from them you're supposed to bear skier's right toward the Moonlight Basin trails. I just followed the fall line to its lowest point since logically that's where the lens would go. The terrain trap was broad but very shallow, just took a couple of minutes to climb/sidestep out of it.

Tony Crocker":2pq8iw4y said:
Patrick raises a valid point.

In big storms in Northern Vermont, where are best odds for no lift closures on key terrain? Stowe or MRG being on the leeward side of the Green Mountain spine? Or maybe if the storm is huge, off the spine completely at someplace like Burke or Bolton?

In N Vermont, Burke (off the spine) is a good bet to avoid wind holds. Monday everything was open with only mild/moderate winds.

MOV01740_0003.jpg

MOV01745_0003.jpg

MOV01744_0005.jpg

Sounds like Jay was excellent as well. Days when only the Bonnie quad in running are actually best for powder preservation. :D

From_the_NEK":24nbru26 said:
Sounds like Jay was excellent as well. Days when only the Bonnie quad in running are actually best for powder preservation. :D

This is a good point! I did find some awesome snow on the other side over the weekend when the Tram and Flyer were down. On Sunday it was just so brutal getting there, the wind in your face and all the snow blown off of the upper trails. It was sketchy getting there, but once there, no one else around and deep untracked snow. Just 2 lift rides to get back. (right Patrick?)

Sharon":2kyp8hsl said:
From_the_NEK":2kyp8hsl said:

This is a good point! I did find some awesome snow on the other side over the weekend when the Tram and Flyer were down. On Sunday it was just so brutal getting there, the wind in your face and all the snow blown off of the upper trails. It was sketchy getting there, but once there, no one else around and deep untracked snow. Just 2 lift rides to get back. (right Patrick?)

It was similar conditions 3 years ago when I made this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om4myVZaCCg (I tried to inbed this but couldn't figure out the controls :-k )

Winds were blowing 50-60 mph on the summit (there is a little spot in the video where you can hear the wind as Ian starts down the Face). The first couple of runs through the glades were unreal, over the head powdershots on every turn).

Sharon":121n65z4 said:
From_the_NEK":121n65z4 said:

Right!!!

Back