Northeast Local(?) Ski Options

It's interesting that Belleayre now generates more revenue than Gore or Whiteface. (I wonder what revenues at Hunter Mt. and Windham were during this 4-year period.)

1722968704021.png

Last edited:
NEW YORK STATE OLYMPIC REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
Financial Statements and Independent Auditor’s ReportsMarch 31, 2024 and 2023

Link

1722968833017.png

Labor costs seem high. See Vail:

1722969694470.png

Last edited:
$47M operating loss is beyond outrageous. $81M in NYS money (including capital) to run 3 ski areas and 3, by comparison, tiny operations in Lake Placid is beyond nuts. I would think without state $$ the Bobsled, Jumping and ice rink might never again operate, but the 3 ski centers? There is a significant and competitive market for that.... For Harvey, imagine what Laslo could accomplish if he got even a tiny fraction of what Gore is getting in hand-out $$ from the state.

ORDA seems to often obscure their visit numbers by blending the skiing and other sites. In general something along the lines of an $80 subsidy per visitor is likely last year. Though probably much higher than that amount for the ski areas which receive unbelievable capital subsidies for lifts that sometimes aren't actually even needed (eg the Notch at Whiteface). So if you have a pass or buy a ticket you are paying a much smaller fraction of the actual costs than at other ski areas you visit.

For Harvey, imagine what Laszlo could accomplish if he got even a tiny fraction of what Gore is getting in hand-out $$ from the state.

You're teasing me now right?

I don't have to imagine. Laz and I have this discussion 5 or 6 times each season. I've ghost penned letters to the editor for him on the topic.

From my 2010 FTO interview where I state EMSC's point verbatim. I bolded below what would have to happen to make that possible.

Q: Some feel that states shouldn’t be in the ski business and that Belleayre should be leased out to a private operator.

Joe Kelly: The state is in the ski business because the people of New York approved a specific amendment to the constitution in the late 1940s. And they underscored that decision by voting to expand Belleayre in 1987. In short, Belleayre exists because of the people’s will.

We went through the “lease Belleayre to a private contractor” discussion 10 or 15 years ago, and it keeps popping back up. I think that it would be extremely unlikely because a constitutional amendment would have to be passed not once, but twice by the legislature. The people who keep bringing it up as an option – and they often point to Sunapee in New Hampshire as a blueprint – don’t understand how specific Article 14 is. New York State has very strict laws concerning the forest preserve, which is great for maintaining the natural beauty in this region, but not so great for people trying to live and raise families here.

Q: Some feel that states shouldn’t be in the ski business and that Belleayre should be leased out to a private operator.
Not saying that it's good or bad, but look at the Mont Ste-Anne experience. Public land, ski area was at one point taken over by the Province until it was sold to RCR. Since then MSA has been decline and finally having some backlash after the gondola failure fiasco.

look at the Mont Ste-Anne experience. Public land, ski area was at one point taken over by the Province until it was sold to RCR. Since then MSA has been in decline and finally having some backlash after the gondola failure fiasco.
I had no idea that MSA was run by the province for a period of time -- from when until when? That's an interesting example of how having a private operator take over a ski area doesn't always work.

So why are the Berkshires off your radar (James, Harvey)? Google maps show drive time East Orange, NJ to both Plattekill and Jiminy as just under 3 hours, with Catamount being half an hour closer. James' list shows zero days lifetime in Massachusetts!
If I still lived in NYC (moved to NC in the early 1970s), I doubt I'd get a season pass to Plattekill. But would keep an eye on the weather for a potential Friday or two after a storm system went through. Happened to catch a day like that at the end of a northeast ski safari.

The Indy Pass makes the Berkshires a decent deal for Berkshire East and Catamount. Especially now that the new lift construction is all done at Catamount. Berkshire East's location means it doesn't really get that crowded even on a holiday weekend. I had a good time with friends there on the Sunday of Pres. Day weekend several years ago.

I like Jiminy Peak, but it's on the pricey side unless live close enough to get a Twilight pass. Night skiing starts at 3pm and goes until 9 or 10. For midweek skiing, the fact that there is a high-speed detachable that cover 80% of the terrain is a plus. JP has a completely different vibe from Plattekill. JP feels like a "ski resort" not an independent ski area. I stay at the timeshare resort that is slopeside. There is another timeshare complex across the road. Plus JP has quite a big of slopeside lodging from hotel rooms at the lodge to cabins good for families.

Plattekill, February 22, 2022
Plattekill 25Feb2022 - 1.jpeg

Plattekill 25Feb2022 - 3.jpeg

I always thought Hunter Mountain was a necessary evil pre-Christmas if you wanted any terrain diversity.

Most Catskill, Berkshire, and Pocono mountains could only open up to 2-5 WRODs during the early season. Hunter had the management philosophy and snowmaking capacity to get nearly 2-4x the amount of terrain.

The late season was a different story since artificial snow lasts longer, and the amount of terrain open during March was more equivalent.

With sufficient cold, under the Slutzky brothers, Hunter could go from zero to 100% open in nine days.

I remember the GM telling me, years ago, that the system used $13,000 in electricity per hour it was run at full blast.

simple...
1 the cats are bigger
2 the berks are on the other side of the river...
When I used Google Maps to compare distances from East Orange, NJ I used Plattekill, which has the same drive time as Jiminy. The other Catskill areas Hunter, Wndham and Belleayre (only checked that just now) are nearly half an hour closer, matched only by Catamount iunb the Berkshires.

So this explains not only why the Catskills are more popular among NYC day skiers, but also why Plattekill is the least crowded being farthest distance.

I get this mentality due to SoCal analogies. I will nearly always take the shorter drive to Mt. High vs. Big Bear if equivalent terrain is open. But this is often not true due to disparity in snowmaking power.
With sufficient cold, under the Slutzky brothers, Hunter could go from zero to 100% open in nine days.
Does that mean 24/7 below freezing temperatures for 9 days? I've always wondered how Hunter's snowmaking power compares to Big Bear. I do not recall Big Bear going from 0-100% in 9 days with no natural snow, but I think that's climatology. I have no recollection of that scenario in Big Bear ever. Consecutive days of 24/7 snowmaking is almost never more than 3-4 and that pattern typically ensues following a natural snow event. The common mid to late December pattern is something like 25-80% with say 6 inches natural snow following by 2-3 days of 24/7 below freezing. Overall season long operation at Big Bear is at least as good as Hunter due to low humidity and much less frequent rain.
Not saying that it's good or bad, but look at the Mont Ste-Anne experience. Public land, ski area was at one point taken over by the Province until it was sold to RCR. Since then MSA has been decline and finally having some backlash after the gondola failure fiasco.
Thus strikes me as bizarre. Isn't Mont Ste. Anne a top tier mountain by Quebec standards, plus being extremely close to a metro area? What sensible management would neglect such a place? RCR's overall reputation in western Canada is mediocre I think.

Last edited:
Isn't Mont Ste. Anne a top tier mountain by Quebec standards, plus being extremely close to a metro area? What sensible management would neglect such a place? RCR's overall reputation in western Canada is mediocre I think.
Yes. Yes. and yes.

I had no idea that MSA was run by the province for a period of time -- from when until when? That's an interesting example of how having a private operator take over a ski area doesn't always work.
There is a history section on the MSA website, but Wikipedia might picture a less glossy version of history (en français). English isn't as complete. There is some pressure on RCR to sell.

En février 2020, les cabines du mont Sainte-Anne ont connu un bris mécanique causant 21 blessés ainsi que de nombreux mécontents.

En décembre 2022, la chute d’une télécabine de « L'Étoile filante » due à une erreur humaine entraîne, sous l’ordre de la Régie du bâtiment (RBQ), la fermeture presque complète de la station de ski pour 23 jours « afin de s’assurer de la sécurité du public » — seules les pentes écoles desservies par les tapis magiques de la montagne ont été ouvertes. Du 16 décembre au 7 janvier 2023, les cinq remontées aériennes de la station ont été fermées de force, et quatre d'entre elles ont pu rouvrir après que le mont Sainte-Anne eut fourni « une attestation de sécurité signée par un ingénieur pour les remontées mécaniques aériennes débrayables». Dans un communiqué datant du 7 avril 2023, la RBQ annonce qu'elle « lève l'ordonnance au mont Sainte-Anne » visant la remontée construite en 1989, puisqu'elle « a reçu l’ensemble des éléments exigés, notamment une attestation de sécurité signée par un ingénieur et validée par la RBQ, satisfaisant ainsi à toutes les conditions de l’ordonnance. » L'une des plus vieilles télécabines au Canada encore en activité a donc été fermée pendant 119 jours, soit du 10 décembre 2022 au 7 avril 2023, affectant grandement le domaine skiable qui a vu sa remontée principale être fermée pour une bonne partie de la saison de ski 2022-2023.

Propriété publique (1970–1994)​

En 1970, le gouvernement du Québec prend possession de la montagne en créant le Parc du Mont-Sainte-Anne. La même année, la station développe le versant nord de la montagne et en 1973, le versant ouest. En 1983, la station procède à l'installation d'un système d'enneigement artificiel.

En 1985, le gouvernement cède le Parc à la Sépaq (une société d'État nouvellement créée). À la fin des années 1980, de nombreux investissements sont faits dans la station, dont l'installation de deux télésièges débrayables, d'un nouveau chalet dans le secteur expert, l'éclairage d'une quinzaine de pistes pour permettre le ski de soirée de même que l'installation d'une télécabine débrayable à 8 passagers, en plus de l'ajout de nouvelles pistes.

Privatisation (1994)​

Le ministre des Finances André Bourbeau annonce dans le budget 1994 la relance du programme de privatisations. En août 1994, le gouvernement annonce la privatisation du Mont-Sainte-Anne par une vente à un consortium mené par Club Resort, en association avec la station de ski Bromont. André Bourbeau déclare que la décision de vendre le parc est irrévocable alors que des élections sont prévues quelques semaines plus tard.

Après l'alternance issue des élections, le gouvernement Parizeau commande un rapport d'expert sur deux opérations de privatisation (dont celle du Mont-Saint-Anne). Le rapport remis en mars 1995 indique que la privatisation s'est opérée à un mauvais moment et que le gouvernement du Québec a obtenu un prix plus bas que ce qu'il aurait pu espérer. Le rapport pointe cependant qu'aucune malversation ou favoritisme n'a été identifié. Le gouvernement Parizeau annonce alors qu'il ne rouvrira pas les transactions en question.

En juillet 1999, la station est vendue à Resorts of the Canadian Rockies.

Depuis la privatisation de 1994, les investissements ont surtout porté sur l'aménagement de nouvelles pistes en sous-bois et sur la modernisation du système d'enneigement artificiel. Cependant, à l'automne 2008, un litige est finalement réglé entre la Sépaq et Resorts of the Canadian Rockies concernant la valeur des terrains du Parc du Mont-Sainte-Anne. Celui-ci durait depuis la privatisation de 1994. Ce règlement ouvre la porte à des investissements de 150 millions $ au cours des prochaines années afin d'augmenter la clientèle de la station.

Overall season long operation at Big Bear is at least as good as Hunter due to low humidity and much less frequent rain.
I realized that I have extensive data, 20 years for Hunter and over 40 for Snow Summit. Percents of terrain open by date:
Big Bear
1-Dec
15-Dec
1-Jan
15-Jan
1-Feb
15-Feb
1-Mar
15-Mar
1-Apr
10-Apr
Average
22%
43%
72%
85%
90%
90%
89%
86%
71%
38%
Median
17%
38%
78%
91%
100%
100%
100%
90%
80%
50%
75th percentile
30%
57%
97%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
70%
25th percentile
9%
26%
55%
75%
90%
84%
86%
80%
53%
0%
Hunter
1-Dec
15-Dec
1-Jan
15-Jan
1-Feb
15-Feb
1-Mar
15-Mar
1-Apr
10-Apr
Average
16%
49%
66%
72%
80%
81%
78%
77%
59%
26%
Median
17%
58%
67%
76%
79%
80%
77%
78%
67%
17%
75th percentile
21%
65%
82%
79%
85%
87%
83%
84%
71%
52%
25th percentile
7%
29%
53%
65%
75%
75%
70%
72%
55%
0%

December 15 is the only time frame where Hunter is better, and that by a small margin.
An exaggeration. Hunter is in fact rarely even 90% open, even in peak season. I ascribe this to that bane of Northeast skiing, rain, likely more frequent in the Catskills and CT/MA than farther north.

Last edited:
Hunter is never 100% open. extremely rare
Harv is correct by saying they can get close to all meaningful terrain open on around ten days

I assume you're referring to the steeper Hunter West terrain. As you mention, they can get the main face open quickly if so inclined.
Yes
trail 44( west way) and Annapurna are fairly opened due the massive amount of snowmaking it takes to get them opened

trail 44( west way) and Annapurna are fairly opened due the massive amount of snowmaking it takes to get them opened
Google Earth dimensions (length and vertical) are quite similar to Superstar at Killington. I presume this is a statement of a significantly more challenging climate, as nobody ever said Hunter lacks for water. The west exposure can't be good either.

I checked similar vertical Geronimo at Bear Mt. Geronimo is 50% longer because its steeper pitches are just the upper and lower quarter. The middle half is quite mellow. But that's more evidence that Big Bear's climate is overall more favorable for skiing than Hunter's.
all meaningful terrain open on around ten days
Sorry, I consider what's rated black at urban daytrip ski areas meaningful, and in fact I won't make the 2 hour schlep to Big Bear until some of it is open. However, I have skied Superstar several times, and the Google Earth examination confirms Liz' view that Hunter West is a notch above any cut trails at Big Bear in challenge. But that's less relevant if Hunter West is only skiable about as often as Baldy's chair 1.

Last edited:
Hunter has two sectors that hold it under 100%:
  • Hunter One—Most of the closed terrain is in this sector. It was a great concept in its day (1970s) - do not develop any beginner terrain in the main Hunter complex, and keep them separated There are lots of trails and lifts that have not been improved since the 1970s/80s.
  • Hunter West - Westway and Annapurna. These would typically open by MLK weekend. But Vail seems to not allocate the resources.
Hunter West
Hunter West is almost no different from Jiminy Peak: Both have big, Wide, Steep, and Open slopes built for snowmaking. (At one point Jericho was a steep natural snow glade).

Jiminy always opens these trails by mid-January. They have HS Quads and fixed Quads serving them. Those areas are core to its operation. See red highlights.

Jiminy Peak.jpg

Hunter West is more of a recent Vail choice. Clair's Way often opens in mid-December. I did see Hunter skip re-opening Westway at times after rain, but Annapurna is mostly a catwalk to a headwall and not overly wide or difficult to open (especially vs. KT22).

Hunter One

Hunter One is a part of Hunter that has seen no love in 40-50 years. It should be re-imagined. Instead, it's a decaying relic.
  • The more newly installed Highland surface lift is a total disaster: - a total state of disrepair. Link I doubt they ever make snow up there, nor should they.
  • There are still bad rope tows around there vs. magic carpets.
  • Only 2-4 trails see any snowmaking. The rest just sit there - most days there are more closed slopes than open at Hunter one. Highlighted in Red.
  • Its lodge is barely open. Might be gone now.
Hunter One should have one high-speed quad and 2-3 new Carpets. Maybe give some sectors back to nature - highlands and other areas. But it should resemble Killington's Snowshed.

If OpenSnow calculates % Open via trail counts, Hunter will always come up short since a lot of terrain is not a priority to ever open. It's a bit weird/short-sighted by Hunter Mt, but it's been going on forever any marketeer would just get rid of trails/lifts that never open

Hunter Mt.jpg

Back