Retirement Road Trips

No adverse weather predicted in next week+ at Tahoe. Highs in upper 60s/very low 70s with lows in 40s. From Tahoe, it's a more interesting (and shorter and faster) drive to continue N from Reno on 395, then 139 to go to Lava Beds National Park before getting to Oregon where Crater Lake is not that far off 97 and also worth a stop.

No adverse weather predicted in next week+ at Tahoe. Highs in upper 60s/very low 70s with lows in 40s. From Tahoe, it's a more interesting (and shorter and faster) drive to continue N from Reno on 395, then 139 to go to Lava Beds National Park before getting to Oregon where Crater Lake is not that far off 97 and also worth a stop.
Thanks. I suggested they go to Crater Lake. Grant is 6 feet 5 inches and well over 300 pounds. He loves a beer and good food. I think they’ll have a great time on the way to and while at Bend.

My mate Grant is having a ball on his drive north.
IMG_0318.jpeg

IMG_0319.jpeg

He’s currently in Bend doing damage to the town’s beer stocks. The big fellow can put it away.

Mount Bachelor-Bend is one of the better ski destinations in the USA for a beer loving ski vacationer.

According to https://smartasset.com/data-studies/best-cities-for-beer-drinkers-2022-edition - Bend is the second best city in the USA for beer drinkers, even though it's much smaller than many other high ranking cities.

2. Bend, OR
Next to hold its rank was Bend, Oregon in the No. 2 spot. This city lost three breweries last year, bringing its total to roughly 22, which is down from 25 breweries in our previous study. Bend averages 110 beers per brewery and costs $4.00 on average per pint. In Bend, beer drinkers can visit the home of Deschutes for a Black Butte porter or Jubelale.

I had no idea about the #1 city:

1. Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh did it again with its second-consecutive No. 1 ranking in our best cities for beer drinkers study. It ranks No. 11 for the total number of breweries (33) and No. 18 for breweries per 100,000 residents (11). The city also records a lower-than-average price per pint of beer at $4.00, with the study average slightly higher at $4.68. Breweries in Pittsburgh run the gamut. Beer aficionados can visit everything from the German-style Penn Brewery to the buzzy Dancing Gnome or the lively, outdoor-centric Grist House Craft Brewery.

I had no idea about the #1 city:

1. Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh did it again with its second-consecutive No. 1 ranking in our best cities for beer drinkers study. It ranks No. 11 for the total number of breweries (33) and No. 18 for breweries per 100,000 residents (11). The city also records a lower-than-average price per pint of beer at $4.00, with the study average slightly higher at $4.68. Breweries in Pittsburgh run the gamut. Beer aficionados can visit everything from the German-style Penn Brewery to the buzzy Dancing Gnome or the lively, outdoor-centric Grist House Craft Brewery.
I had no idea either. I will add Pittsburgh to my itinerary for when I check out the New England area one fall. I really want to see those red and yellow leaves up close.

Back