this is not good

Sharon":2vel6dhu said:
skimore":2vel6dhu said:
base in Central dacks is as deep as it ever has been for this time of year

So Kevin, did you ski? or just take pretty pix?

I surely hope a TR is on it's way with pix.

Looks like winter will be back in business and we should be able to ski some powder soon.

Great to see Harvey44 again on the board.

There was skiing, but was solo.hard for action shots. wasn't much to right home about.only about 3" on top of nice base.just stating there is snow in the east. there is over a 3ft base where I was.this is probably one of the worst day's I've had this year

ridge028.jpg

there's a track in there some where
ridge033.jpg

I’m not sure where we should be at this point in the season, and those numbers might be ahead of average,
I post this info at least every 2 weeks at http://bestsnow.net/seas09.htm . Northeast is modestly above average in snowfall though nowhere near last year at this time. And getting through all of January with no major rain or thaw events was definitely above average.

Before we :brick: at lifty50, I think from context he messed up his post and meant that eastern areas don't have the base to go to May-to-July. This is a demonstrated fact. Even after stellar eastern late seasons like the last 2 years, the snow preservation just doesn't cut it to withstand normal spring weather back there in the lift-served areas.

ROG: I admit that I have been skunked out West as many times as I've had epic days. Never had rain though. That seems to be a mostly a Whistler event, or any base below 6K. I am primarily a free heel skier now, so I do have the opportunity to go OB and skin to the untracked. Most of my WY skiing is in Teton Pass. But even that gets tracked up quickly these days, unless you are willing to work for it. Of course having the ability to dig a pit and analyse snow layers help keep you alive. Something you don't have to worry about in the East, save Tucks. I agree that the East is a great place to cut your teeth on all conditions, which will make you a better skier overall. However, for the guy or gal that only has 10-20 days to ski a year, a few budget trips out West is the best bang for the bucks, in my opinion.

Lifty@50":109hkunl said:
ROG: I admit that I have been skunked out West as many times as I've had epic days. Never had rain though. That seems to be a mostly a Whistler event, or any base below 6K.

I experienced rain all the way to the top of the hill at Steamboat on MLK weekend in 2000. Talk about suck conditions.

Lifty@50":rvrwizqw said:
ROG: I admit that I have been skunked out West as many times as I've had epic days. Never had rain though. That seems to be a mostly a Whistler event, or any base below 6K. I am primarily a free heel skier now, so I do have the opportunity to go OB and skin to the untracked. Most of my WY skiing is in Teton Pass. But even that gets tracked up quickly these days, unless you are willing to work for it. Of course having the ability to dig a pit and analyse snow layers help keep you alive. Something you don't have to worry about in the East, save Tucks. I agree that the East is a great place to cut your teeth on all conditions, which will make you a better skier overall. However, for the guy or gal that only has 10-20 days to ski a year, a few budget trips out West is the best bang for the bucks, in my opinion.

i'll happily agree with that. utah got rain in january,at least up to 9500 feet at some point. my visiting friends skied in it. we didn't make it through jan without a thaw here. it thawed big in late december, just to point out to tony. our typical spring weather is very good for preservation in many areas, probably better than many areas out west. utah needs the big base depths to cover all of the crap and to hold the snow late into the spring. a 30 inch base here is equal to a 100 inch base there as far as coverage and preservation goes imho.
rog

a 30 inch base here is equal to a 100 inch base there as far as coverage and preservation goes imho.
That's why Snowbird is open to Memorial Day on average and I've never heard of an eastern lift served area getting past first weekend of May on a natural snow base, right?

I just :dead horse: again in response to Geoff's comment, but spring skiing is surely the topic on which the eastern diehards are most delusional. I may start responding "troll" to these remarks, because it's hard to take them seriously at this point.

Tony Crocker":3s40wmvc said:
but spring skiing is surely the topic on which the eastern diehards are most delusional. I may start responding "troll" to these remarks, because it's hard to take them seriously at this point.

Like the eastern spring artificial-snow surface great sliding versus natural snow? :lol:

I believe admin's picture describes the activity, but AFAIK on Internet forums my picture or similar is used to describe the perpetrator. :lol:

Back