Utah Weather

mbaydala

So do we have any weather buffs out there? Well anyway I was checking the computer models for the next 15 days and things aren't looking all that good for Utah. The pattern looks similar to the pattern that we saw for a good part March warm and dry with a strong ridge over the west. Any of you guys seeing anything different?

I haven't looked carefully, but that's consistent with what I heard. "Warm" is relative, however, for daily highs for the next week appear seasonable and nighttime lows are cold enough to make snow.

hey guys, new around here. Live in Alpine, and always looking for more partners (I currently have only 1 thats any sort of regular) so keep me in mind please!

According to WEATHERMAN over at TTips, we may have something coming through by the end of the week, most likely the week after. But, we all know that that is forecasting pretty far out, so we will see what happens!

Hopefully going to make a trip up to Alta or some such on Thursday if the snow stays any sort of decent. Let me know if you would like to go.

for more info go here

Welcome, kydan! I hope that you'll contribute often.

Also, for your knowledge as well as mbaydala's and any other locals, over the summer we launched UtahSkiAndSnowboard.com. While things are of course off to a slow start with a summer launch and all, I'd really like to give those user forums a jump-start, so check that out as well.

Still no promising weather in the west for the next 16 days. Looks like warm dry ridge out west with a chance of a trough in the east.

Tis' the season to anguish about the weather. It's also wise to jump on it while it's happening. Hope you got some last weekend.
Since Utah is at the confluence of two storm tracks, I'll give you an idea of what is forecast for the next few weeks and beyond from this direction. I like to think you're at the junction of the (this is very unscientific) "Bachelor" and "Mammoth" tracks. I have the feeling your area will see more action from our direction, if the winter pans out as forecast. Mammoth's short range looks pretty grim, see: http://izotz.com/dweebreport/
I rely on the excellent Oregon Climate Service from OSU. I'll quote some of their very reliable winter forecast. It's interesting to note they suggest a weak October, followed by a solid November building into the winter for our area.http://www.ocs.oregonstate.edu/index.html

"Overall we are predicting western Oregon conditions to be somewhat cooler and wetter than average, with a good chance of at least one low elevation snow event. Central and eastern Oregon are expected to have warmer than average temperatures and average precipitation.
After a slow start, we expect mountain snows to accumulate quickly in November and remain mostly good throughout the winter. January and February mountain snows are expected to be significant. All in all, we anticipate a very good ski season!"

Summary Western Oregon

Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Overall
Temperature 60 60 50 60 40 35 Slightly Cool
Precipitation 35 60 60 75 40 60 Slightly Wet

Summary Central & Eastern Oregon

Temperature 55 50 50 70 55 40 Slightly Warm
Precipitation 35 55 45 70 40 50 Average

Ski forecast Poor Good Decent Great Good Good Good

Good luck everyone!

Hey does anyone care to make a little friendly bet? What are everyone's thoughts one the weather from now through opening day?

I'm thinking Park City doesn't see more then 6 inches of snow before opening day, at the base that is. And I'm thinking, no accumulating snow at all in the next 15 days.

Any thoughts?

You looked at the long range GFS :wink: .. With that ridge the west is out of business.. As we all know the long range GFS can also be total garbage..

You are correct!

Unfortunately this pattern looks very similar to the pattern we saw for the majority of March. Hope that’s not the case but I have a feeling its going to be. :(

Back