Beer thread?

Probably the same to some degree in a lot of western cities.
Definitely. The northeast U.S. has a far lower number of micro-breweries, distilleries, cideries, etc.

Maybe someone can edumacate me on a bank's rationale for lending start-up funds to a business in a thoroughly overcrowded niche. Doesn't the failed business declare bankruptcy and stiff the bank on the loan?

Definitely. The northeast U.S. has a far lower number of micro-breweries, distilleries, cideries, etc.

Maybe someone can edumacate me on a bank's rationale for lending start-up funds to a business in a thoroughly overcrowded niche. Doesn't the failed business declare bankruptcy and stiff the bank on the loan?
I’ve no idea. I had reason to head to the Brisbane CBD this morning. There must be one coffee shop for every 3 people in the city. They are a revolving door of failures too generally. I don’t know how they get the funding although I believe business lending here in Oz is almost always tied to real estate collateral.

I don’t drink alcohol during the week. But it’s Friday. So technically the weekend?

A huge weekend in sport coming up with the AFL (Australian Rules) grand final Saturday and NRL (Rugby League) grand final Sunday. Brisbane have teams in both. A first I believe. It’s public holiday in most states Monday for the King’s birthday. (Don’t get me started as to why we have a head of state from another nation).
I have an auction tomorrow. Do they auction houses in the USA? And a few other ‘open houses’ too. So just a couple of quiet ones tonight.
211CED85-52AC-46F7-899E-7C1A644967AF.jpeg

Cracking spring weather here at the moment. My daughter used the pool for the first time this season yesterday.
^^^^
This beer is a fave of Kylie’s. It’s a Scottish brand but brewed here in Brisvegas. I’m sure everyone has been to Moab.
60F132E4-0C36-44C6-8855-034D16050E15.jpeg

This is the Coopers Pale Ale I mentioned last week. The glass is from Zillertal. We stayed in Kaltenbach. Got a first day powder day but liked the Mayrhofen hill best.
B0AF8CA1-9892-4143-BFED-91E2A8AE0CF1.jpeg

That’s my lad half buried after a crash.

Last edited:
Dank is a adjective and even a name used in beer. I bought Costco case of 4 Sierra Nevada IPA six-packs including Dankful that was not my favorite.
Only recently finished the last one. Not really a summer beer. And they go even bigger; 11% and description includes “fruity, dank, and devilishly hoppy flavor”.

Beer is not your niche.
For the past 25+ years, the beer that you'll find at my house is almost without exception Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Weihenstephaner, and occasionally Leffe. During winter, I also drink stouts. I am not well-versed in craft beers: dank, hoppy, citrus-y, or whatvever. Call me what you will.

Last edited:
For the past 25+ years, the beer that you'll find at my house is almost without exception Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Weihenstephaner, and occasionally Leffe. During winter, I also drink stouts. I am not well-versed in craft beers: dank, hoppy, citrus-y, or whatvever. Call me what you will.
They’re wheat beers I’m assuming? Out of those I’ve only had Leffe. I like it.
My wife thinks the wheat beers have a slight ham taste. I don’t get the ham thing but they are distinctive.

They’re wheat beers I’m assuming? Out of those I’ve only had Leffe. I like it.
As mentioned on the previous page, my preference is Hefeweizen. I'll try and usually enjoy a glass of anything just to give it a shot; however, I'm not a big fan of flavored beers, which accounts for my ignorance of hemp and its dankness. :icon-biggrin:

My wife thinks the wheat beers have a slight ham taste.
Ham! I've never heard that one. Usually, cloves or sourdough bread are brought up. Fascinating how people notice different notes in food, drink, scents, etc You may recall this infamous scene from Sideways:

I don't know how it was in Australia but I remember the U.S. beer scene as generally hideous until the advent of craft beers in the 90s, at which point it became much easier to get proper beer, especially foreign. Growing up in Central New York in the late 70s/early 80s, Canadian beer was generally preferred. We used to make beer runs across the border to Ontario and Quebec and bring back more than was allowed by burying it in the back of our cars so the border agents wouldn't bust us. Brador on the far left was especially coveted because it wasn't allowed in the U.S. due to "high" (6.2%) ABV -- kinda funny in retrosprect. This blog piece tells the classic story.

img_7383.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how it was in Australia
The not so good ‘cold and wet’ beers like Victoria Bitter, XXXX and Fosters were the big sellers. They have now got a tiny fraction of the market that they enjoyed 30 years ago.

The craft or micro scene as you Americans call it didn’t take off until much later - perhaps 2005 or thereabouts.

I have been given some business plans for microbreweries looking for investment. Financials are not very pretty.

Colorado is far from alone, but in general is overrun with breweries. To the point that, in recent years, there is a steady churn in new ones opening and failing ones closing. My small suburb of ~35K residents bounces between 5-6 breweries at any one time it seems. Plus a couple distilleries, plus an alcoholic Cidery, plus another 4-6 breweries in each of the various nearby other suburbs. etc... I honestly don't know how as many stay in business as they do. It's kinda nuts.

There was an initial microbrewery revolution in the 1990s: In Boston - Sam Adams, Harpoon, Long Trail, Catamount. However, those sold out, consolidated, went public, etc. In Seattle, you had Pyramid, Alaskan, Elysian, Red Hook. Red Hook and Elysian were bought by Anheuser-Busch. Anchor Steam (SF) was bought by Sapporo.

Starting around 2010 after the Great Recession, a huge wave of new microbreweries popped up catering to the Millenials. It's like Facebook, Instagram, and Tik-Tock. Every Generation has its place - or microbrewery. And new ones pop up.

While I enjoyed beer more in Boston because you had a lot of European brews on tap, as well New England microbrews - I am kinda over it now.
If in the Tropics, a lighter beer with lime is always good. And I like some Ales and a Guinness - now and again. It's fun in Belgium to see how every beer can have a different glass, and German beers are good in Austria.

The Bay Area has a strong wine and cocktail culture, so that is where my tastes have migrated. Whiskey/Bourbon and Red Wines. I am less interested in the latest Coffee Coconut Porter (yes, it's a thing).

And Hard Seltzer?! Gross flavored Malt Liquor. Might as well relaunch Zima and see if Gen Z will drink it.

230F24AE-C0F7-4D72-8874-0BE02C31EABE.jpeg

It’s Friday.
An Australian craft beer ripping off an American beer in a European glass on a coaster from Sun Valley. The
beer is a great rendition of a WCIPA. Did I mention I collect coasters too?
BA61F387-1ACB-4973-B425-EB12A2D55C7D.jpeg

Kylie is having an Australian classic. Victoria Bitter is from……you guessed it. The state of Victoria where they get some snow in winter. Some winters even offer decent skiing.
E9231D47-9D51-4D2C-B0DD-9900FA9CCE51.jpeg

The glass is European and the coaster is from the Sunshine Beach Surf Club (just south of Noosa) which is about 80 miles north of my house. Pic from the headland below.
AC56B285-39B6-42D3-A2E9-C8F0328F6DBC.jpeg

Anyway VB was sold in huuuge numbers for years until the advent of independent beer and the importation of international which actually taste good. VB has some iconic TV adverts. “You can get it any old how”. Worth a watch.

I love this advert for Victoria Bitter -- how Australians triumph over a "hard-earned thirst." The only inauthentic thing is that I didn't see anyone with a mullet haircut!

Picture1.png

Back