Beer thread?

Sbooker

You Mercans have the best beer on the planet in my opinion. (That I’ve experienced of course).
I had my first beer from the USA when I first visited back in 2009/10. I was in San Fran and Anchor Steam was the brew. I loved it and still seek it out when I visit.
Part of the reason I visited Bend last year was Mt Bachelor. The other reason was the famed India Pale Ale brews made from the Cascade hops.
First up is a local crowd Black Flag named after Henry Rollins band obviously. They do music themed can art. This one is a good but not spectacular XPA.
2A2D43E3-57EB-4C14-9EDB-70F796A8996C.jpeg

I’m sure @tseeb can contribute?
@Tony Crocker I’ve not seen you drink a beer. Are you a fan?

Pirate Life brewing was the first real craft brewery here in Australia. (You’d call it micro). They’re from Melbourne. My wife loves this one.
094E0522-5C0E-4E83-B1B7-8AC4AA6C55FF.jpeg

Surfer Mick Fanning has a brewing company called Balter. This is one of theirs. Hugely popular in his home territory of the Gold Coast.
F90899DF-20A4-4AB0-930E-FB29AA122C4A.jpeg

@Tony Crocker I’ve not seen you drink a beer. Are you a fan?
Not that much. Liz and I both hate IPAs. I will most often order beer with Indian or Mexican food. We like spicy food for which the gold standard in our opinion is Howlin' Ray's Nashville hot chicken.

You will get a more detailed response from Tseeb.

From past Iron Blosam reports some of you have seen selections from the wine cellars of Al Solish, Michael Siegel and me. I have about 350 bottles, a significant proportion from the high rated Napa vintages of 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016.

Otaru? Isn't that the reputed sushi capital of Hokkaido?
img_3209-jpg.21873

Last edited:
Not that much. Liz and I both hate IPAs. I will most often order beer with Indian or Mexican food. We like spicy food for which the gold standard in our opinion is Howlin' Ray's Nashville hot chicken.

From past Iron Blosam reports some of you have seen selections from the wine cellars of Al Solish, Michael Siegel and me. I have about 350 bottles, a significant proportion from the high rated Napa vintages of 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016.

Otaru? Isn't that the reputed sushi capital of Hokkaido?
img_3209-jpg.21873
Howlin Rays is now on the bucket list. Thanks.

I appreciate good red wine but admit that my pallet is not up to doing the really good wines justice. When I’ve tried to top tier stuff (over $200 a bottle) I can’t see the difference from a quality (say $40 bottle) red. I can obviously pick the difference between the relatively cheap stuff and the aforementioned solid ones.

I can recommend Otaru to other forum members as a fine base for a few days if on Hokkaido. Superb seafood (including well priced quality sushi), great scenery and an easy drive to Kiroro, Sapporo Teine, Tenguama and Kokusai ski hills. We had a particularly memorable 8 inch mid week powder day at Teine where we were the only group on the entire hill aside from an army group and school group who both stuck to about three groomed runs. We were skiing fresh dry snow at 4pm.
Oh. I didn’t mention the ramen…….

When I’ve tried to top tier stuff (over $200 a bottle) I can’t see the difference from a quality (say $40 bottle) red.
Most of the high end stuff needs some age. We are just starting to try the 2013 Napa cabs, which have that reputation in particular.

3F7EE640-E198-4DB0-B8C1-157228359136.jpeg

Young Henrys is a Sydney brewing company. This is a good version of a hazy pale.
I collect beer glasses. This one is from Chamonix.

Last edited:
4FBA97E2-219D-41B6-A7A8-74D80CB7A0F1.jpeg

Coopers is an Adelaide beer company. Since 1862. And still family owned. Their best seller is a pale ale in a green tin but this extra stout is absolutely world class. In fact the best of this version that I’ve had anywhere.

Pilsner is not a fave. The big Belgian beers are fantastic but for a 160 pound person they’re too much for me.
Pilsner is OK. I prefer wheat, white, and hefeweizen. Maine's Allagash posted a helpful primer about them.

You’re missing something I think.
Internet forums are here either to share information or to tell other people that they're wrong, usually about something that's personal taste, whether it's ski areas, TV shows, food, or beer. My younger brother can't stand hefeweizen -- claims it's like drinking bread -- and swears by Grolsch.

Enjoy what you like; however, if you're going to buy me a beer, I'd prefer that it's not an IPA. :icon-lol:

There is a reason why Bud , Bud light and Corona are the best selling beers in the world...Cause there good...:p:cool:
IPA's well that is one acquired taste

But we prefer this:
I understand me not liking white wine or champagne is my problem. Kylie dislikes it too. Maybe we’ll get into it one day but with so many great beers and red wines I doubt it.

There’s only four types of drink needed in my humble opinion. Water. Beer. Red wine and coffee. (Kylie would add black tea to that list).
I’d start a coffee thread but it would have less chance of getting off the ground as the beer thread………you guys being American and all.😆

Near 12K+’ volcanoes but without a keyboard and already lost one edit so not much of a response.

First picture taken from rooftop deck behind our room is Volcan de Fuego smoking after sunset.
FB756781-6AB8-4334-92C1-CF5066DE0687.jpeg

Next two are the best beer we tried from local brewery. We went to their small outpost and weren’t very impressed but found maybe last can available of this much better one at cafe on way back to hotel. Note the Santa Cruz connection.
5C410919-AEEE-455A-90E7-776BD4FAB4F9.jpeg
3AFD11F1-01C7-4E3C-8591-9095D416A53A.jpeg

Last edited:
IPA's well that is one acquired taste
Beer itself is very acquired taste as I well recall from my early days.

Colorado is far from alone, but in general is overrun with breweries. To the point that, in recent years, there is a steady churn in new ones opening and failing ones closing. My small suburb of ~35K residents bounces between 5-6 breweries at any one time it seems. Plus a couple distilleries, plus an alcoholic Cidery, plus another 4-6 breweries in each of the various nearby other suburbs. etc... I honestly don't know how as many stay in business as they do. It's kinda nuts.

As to IPA's, the amount of hoppy bitterness is all over the map to some degree depending on the actual brew. I can go for one sometimes, though it's not a regular choice.

Much of Europe is well behind the US now in beer making which is ironic considering how far ahead they were for so long in history IMO. Briton is as far behind as they get IMO. Fun to watch them 'pull' a beer, but the beers in England are otherwise pretty forgettable. Continental EU beers are very hit or miss, with a few decent ones, but many also forgettable IMO. And I can't even figure out who can afford a beer in Scandinavian countries. Crazy taxes/prices. Etc...

While I used to drink micro brewery beer on a reasonably frequent basis, really I mostly stopped drinking beer a couple years ago. I'm now mostly into red wine, sake, and whiskey, with occasional mixed drinks as well. Most recently having our local shop actually special order some well regarded sake.

Colorado is far from alone, but in general is overrun with breweries. To the point that, in recent years, there is a steady churn in new ones opening and failing ones closing. My small suburb of ~35K residents bounces between 5-6 breweries at any one time it seems. Plus a couple distilleries, plus an alcoholic Cidery, plus another 4-6 breweries in each of the various nearby other suburbs. etc... I honestly don't know how as many stay in business as they do. It's kinda nuts.
I can confirm this and have the same bolded observation whenever I'm out there visiting.

I can confirm this and have the same bolded observation whenever I'm out there visiting.
Probably the same to some degree in a lot of western cities. I know they’ve popped up over the last few years in suburban Australia. And not just the trendy burbs of Sydney and Melbourne.

Back