South America 2024

Normal, lower third of the hill is infrequently skiable from what I read over the years.

Catedral does have poor exposure - especially for its lower slopes.

Skier's right lower down faces due North! Always melts out.

However, the Laguna sector faces due South, which is likely worth the 15 minute hike.

Catedral North Orientation.jpg

And if it is phenomenal or I miss Marte, just stay longer.
Good plan. This is the exact time frame that Staley went to Las Lenas 3 or 4 times and also when Extremely Canadian went for about a decade.

This is the period of the locally famed "Santa Rosa" storms, named after the first South American saint and celebrated Aug. 30.

I believe these are the last hurrah shot at major dumps, about like late March/early April in the Sierra. But at Las Lenas you want the storms to be over when you are there. Last season with big storms in September was an aberration even by the volatile standards of the Andes.

Of course, nothing makes sense in Argentina:

Not a good day for Marte: closed. But the pistes are ready. They seem happier about the off-piste, rating it a 2/5 and open.

I doubt any of this even matters. I feel like this will be Europe, so go wherever. Except if a lift is closed.

1723736705139.png

1723736839880.png

1723736885083.png

I feel like this will be Europe, so go wherever. Except if a lift is closed.
Yes but Marte is needed for lift access to half of Las Lenas' vertical, 3/4 of terrain and all of the terrain that motivates ChrisC to go there.

With the favorable snow stability you can hike above Caris, Minerva or Vulcano as Adam did in 2005 with Extremely Canadian's top group.

Last edited:
Las Lenas quick update:

Since my arrival last Saturday, I've been batting nearly 100% in Marte's operation. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. ;):) :eusa-dance:🥳

A small storm occurred late last week (Thursday/Friday), which dumped 6-12" (base and summit estimates) of snow on top of the 40-120" snow depths. It was a nice refresh, but it did not increase avalanche risk. Las Lenas off-piste is currently at a 2 out of 5 - very safe to go anywhere! Likely a perfect setup for skiing Las Lenas.

Some wind (40km+ @ summit/Bora Bora) on Monday kept Marte on hold most of the day, but otherwise, it's been sunny, stable, and not too warm (40f). Generally packed powder on south-facing terrain, still good up high on E/W aspects, and spring-like on north-facing terrain. Some north-facing areas have been wind-scoured/burned off - especially lower elevations.

Since Saturday afternoon, I have been—like a zombie—doing laps (Venus-Neptune-Marte-Iris) plus any necessary return lifts and hitting the main, obvious 4k ft lines: Mercurio, Paraiso, Eduardo, and Marte liftlines. Phenomenal terrain! I have taken some laps with gringos who are down here, but I realize they are as clueless as I am trying to get into tighter lines/spaces and navigate. Terrain is killer, but slow lifts recharge your batteries between descents.

So today, I stopped my Argentinian gangsta ways of walking around with too many pesos (Buenos Aires US dollar conversions) and hired a guide to take me wherever is 'not obvious.' It was completely worth it!

Anyway, I think my good fortune runs out tomorrow. A dry, windy storm comes through Friday.

After skiing Las Lenas on Saturday afternoon, I extended my stay another two days until Monday (iSat and Mon are typically check-in/check-out days). A storm rolls in on Monday, so I still need to decide whether to try a few more days in Las Lenas, continue on to Bariloche (Catedral, Cerro Bayo), or just go home. The storm looks warm, so Catedral/Bayo should get rain halfway up their mountains (12"+ up high), but I am unsure when it will clear.

If it is just Las Lenas this trip, let it be.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.
Marte is open 40% of days long term; that's from the horse's mouth, a Kirkwood snow safety person who worked at Las Lenas for a few seasons.

So :eusa-dance: are in order. The TR will be worth waiting for, I'm sure.

Open Snow narrative today says next storm at Cathedral starts with rain/snow mix but all snow Sunday night, 11 inches new by end of day Monday.

Last edited:
Well, Las Lenas's Marte operational record is reverting to the mean. After being 100% available for 5 days (3 full days and 2 half days), this low-moisture storm has closed it for the last 2 days.

Early yesterday, it was partly cloudy, but decent winds kept upper lifts closed. Yesterday afternoon and today, there are just low clouds and 2" new.

It should be a sunny, warmer weekend of spring skiing. The avalanche rating is now only 1 out of 5, so go anywhere!

Bariloche/Catedral/Bayo - It's looking stormy for most of next week with almost no sun forecast. Although great skiing up high, I'm not sure about lift operations - especially Bayo. Most of the reason for a visit is the scenery of Patagonia. I'm leaning towards skipping it and just going back to Buenos Aires and home after 9 days at Las Lenas (hopefully 7 out of 9 with Marte opened).

Back