Beer thread?

I'm sure that the beer is good but graphics like this would almost deter me from buying it.

View attachment 39090
Yeah. I don’t get the aggressive style graphics either. That’s just a personality thing though I think. A bit like with tattoos. I quite like them on some people but don’t understand the dragons and skulls and stuff. (Sorry to offend if anyone here is rocking a skull tattoo). :)
Edit. I bought the beer off a menu based on where it was produced and description.

Last edited:
graphics like this would almost deter me from buying it.
OK. What do you think of 'enhanced' water brands like Liquid Death that seem to be shockingly popular?

Current marketing makes little sense to me in the modern world sometimes IMO.

Last night of a great holiday. Just a couple from this small brewery in Munich that is competing with all the Bavarian heavyweight brewers. The owners are from New Jersey.
IMG_9706.jpeg

The owners are from New Jersey.
Fascinating that Americans are schooling Bavarians on beer. Here, we mainly drink beer from over there!

Proud to be from New Jersey​

Last February, we were honored (and very surprised!) to be visited by the Governor of New Jersey, Phil Murphy! He is well known for supporting New Jersey-owned businesses, near and far. Governor Murphy, his wife Tammy, and a small delegation from NJ were interested in our unusual craft beer path to Munich. Their visit was the inspiration for our Jersey Shore Pale Ale!

rs=w:1200,cg:true.jpg

Fascinating that Americans are schooling Bavarians on beer. Here, we mainly drink beer from over there!
Not schooling as such. Just offering an alternative. I went from their establishment to something much more traditional and opted for a local red wine with my pork medallions and red cabbage and potato dumpling.

I’m glad from an eating perspective to be almost back home. (In Singapore now). Asian food has a big influence in Australia which means getting lean protein with lots of vegetables without bulk carbs is easy. Three weeks of bread, potato, cheese and ham is hard when not used to it.

We went to San Francisco for the 2024 Chronicle Wine Competition Public Tasting on 2/17. It was first time since COVID they had public event and our second time attending it. Previous time we walked from/to Caltrain, 3.5 miles each way, that we rode from/to San Jose. This time we stayed in a motel on Lombard St and walked less than a mile each way. On 2/18, we walked to the Presidio to check out new Tunnel Tops area of what has been a National Park for nearly 30 years, then stopped on way back for last day of SF Beer Week event. We split special beer week appetizer and they gave us 4 ribs instead of 3 without asking. Beers were only OK, nothing that special.
8269BeerWeek.JPG

Last night of a great holiday. Just a couple from this small brewery in Munich that is competing with all the Bavarian heavyweight brewers. The owners are from New Jersey.

Perhaps more interesting - Higgins. The Irish-Americans are colonizing Bavarian Beer Country.

I guess a larger market than opening the brewery in Ireland with its 5M residents.

A fantastic IPA from Goulburn New South Wales. Every bit as good as those from Bend Oregon.

Attachments

• IMG_9748.jpeg
    IMG_9748.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 24
We are in long line at Russian River Brewing in Windsor, CA for Pliny the Younger after way too much cheese and wine at CA Artisan Cheese Festival at Sonoma County Events Center in Santa Rosa about 10 miles South of here. Last year the cheese event and beer release were earlier in year and we gave up after seeing line in Santa Rosa before opening on Monday
IMG_8585.jpeg

We made it in after 1 hr 40 minutes in line (twice as long as I waited to load Collins at Alta on 3/13 with 16" new). While waiting my wife visited the gift shop, but didn't buy anything then, and we each took the self-guided tour.
8590Brewhouse.JPG
8592Mash.JPG
8596PlinyReleaseInfo.JPG

We split a Russian River Burger ($18) with Pliny Fries (with white cheddar fondue, pickled jalapenos, garlic and parmesan +$4). I had two 10 oz. Pliny the Younger while my wife had one plus a Citra Flash Mob. And for $81 plus tax, CRV and tip bought six 17.25 oz. (510 ml) Pliny the Youngers. We gave one to the couple who watched our dog along with a Pliny the Elder and got home with another of those and a Citra Flash Mob. Finally opened one tonight.
8606RRBrews.JPG
8609PlinyPour.JPG

Tres Islas Mazatlan. I tried the Porter when we went to a Sports Bar to watch Warriors beat Lakers (saw 2nd half at room since it was on TNT) and Giants fall behind on way to a loss. Went to brewpub near where we stayed for last night and tried most of the others. Porter and Hoppy Pils were good. Rest not that good. Didn't try Session IPA.
IMG_8769.jpeg

Sunset from room in Olas Altos.
IMG_8777.jpeg

^^^
Spectacular sunset shot.
I would have gone the porter out of that lot. I’ve never tried a ‘session’ IPA that hasn’t underwhelmed. I’d rather have a session on real IPAs but drink them much slower.

Cloud Cruiser, only available on Alaska Airlines flights, was good. They didn't charge me for this on LAX-SJC flight.
8810CloudCruiser.JPG

They didn't give me a glass either. Return flight was a much better deal than flight down where we got the last two seats on SFO-MZT nonstop (only flies on Saturdays) including one in First Class for an average of almost $1,100/seat. I ordered a beer and after opening it saw it said 55 calories so I looked harder and saw it did not contain alcohol. I poured a little in plastic cup to try it and gave the rest to guy sitting next door who said they'd give me a replacement which they did. Then my wife brought most of one she got in first class along with her piece of cheesecake. My beer was $8.50 less 20% for using Alaska credit card that gives me $99 companion fare annually that ends up being more like $200 one way returning from Mexico or $300 round trip due to taxes. At least the 737 Max 9 did not lose any pieces.

It's a tragic loss—Anchor Brewery and Anchor Steam Beer are gone! They definitely led the rise of Microbreweries in the 1980s and 1990s.

It was kind of a perfect storm: Companies that made much of their revenue from on-site sales saw that business dry up. In that situation, it was impossible not to lose money, and that created debt that many breweries simply could not pay back.

Increased debt impeded businesses' efforts to make changes. And lowered demand drove many regional favorites, including Chicago’s Metropolitan Brewing, New Jersey’s Flying Fish, Denver’s Joyride Brewing, Tampa’s Zydeco Brew Werks, and Cleveland’s Terrestrial Brewing, into bankruptcy.

Looks like mismanagement

In 2017, Sapporo Holdings Ltd., a Japanese beverage company, bought Anchor Brewing in San Francisco for $85 million. Sapporo said they wanted to expand their beer business in the U.S. market, but Anchor declined and Sapporo closed the brewery in July 2023 after 127 years in business.

There has to be more microbreweries suffering out there.

Plenty of both brewers holding there own and also plenty of churn here in Colo. Constantly new ones opening, and also constantly ~5-10 year old brewers going bankrupt.

Waiting for the same to start happening in the home town distillery market in a few years too. Way too many opening up in the past 3-5 years IMO.

It's a tragic loss—Anchor Brewery and Anchor Steam Beer are gone! They definitely led the rise of Microbreweries in the 1980s and 1990s.

It was kind of a perfect storm: Companies that made much of their revenue from on-site sales saw that business dry up. In that situation, it was impossible not to lose money, and that created debt that many breweries simply could not pay back.

Increased debt impeded businesses' efforts to make changes. And lowered demand drove many regional favorites, including Chicago’s Metropolitan Brewing, New Jersey’s Flying Fish, Denver’s Joyride Brewing, Tampa’s Zydeco Brew Werks, and Cleveland’s Terrestrial Brewing, into bankruptcy.

Looks like mismanagement

In 2017, Sapporo Holdings Ltd., a Japanese beverage company, bought Anchor Brewing in San Francisco for $85 million. Sapporo said they wanted to expand their beer business in the U.S. market, but Anchor declined and Sapporo closed the brewery in July 2023 after 127 years in business.

San Francisco was the first US city I went to. I think it was 2009. After that visit Anchor Steam became the beer I would seek out on following visits. I remember being able to buy it on the east coast in about 2014.
It's a real pity that it has gone to beer heaven.

Back