American Election 2024

The job they have isn't easy.
No it's not, and most economists were sure that it would take a recession to counter the COVID/supply chain inflation. The soft landing was very impressive, and we were reminded repeatedly in South Africa that other places were not so lucky.

This is not necessarily a plug for the Democrats as presidents get way too much credit or blame for the state of the economy. That's the reason for both of Lichtman's economic keys. But Americans aren't looking at the overall economic picture. They are looking at prices and interest rates now vs. 2019.

Last edited:
No it's not, and most economists were sure that it would take a recession to counter the COVID/supply chain inflation. The soft landing was very impressive, and we were reminded repeatedly in South Africa that other places were not so lucky.

This is not necessarily a plug for the Democrats as presidents get way too much credit or blame for the state of the economy. That's the reason for both of Lichtman's economic keys. But Americans aren't looking at the overall economic picture. They are looking at prices and interest rates now vs. 2019.

All of this.
presidents get way too much credit or blame for the state of the economy

Fact.

---

I was in Europe visiting family. My niece told me the biggest advantage to living in Europe is the lack of stress caused by the pursuit of healthcare before age 65. They feel that the culture is much more relaxed. (At the same time they were complaining about the tax burden.)

But take a look at the performance of the TOTAL US vs TOTAL International (Non-US):

Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 9.04.16 AM.png

The reality is that 'productivity' (gdp/worker) is higher the US. Yeah our lives suck, but it drives growth.

Not recommending one lifestyle over the other, just saying that there are no free lunches. I wouldn't be retiring at the end of the year if the US market performance was on par with the rest of the world over the last 20 years.

Financially the way to do it, work in the US and retire overseas. But I'm staying here, for less 'logical' reasons.

the biggest advantage to living in Europe is the lack of stress caused by the pursuit of healthcare before age 65. They feel that the culture is much more relaxed. (At the same time they were complaining about the tax burden.)
All of this is true, especially the healthcare stress.

All of this is true, especially the healthcare stress.
But doesn't the US healthcare stress go away at age 65? And if you retire outside the US, I don't believe Medicare goes with you. I don't know the rules for how foreign healthcare systems cover US ex-pats. I suspect it varies by country. A classmate at my 50th college reunion is retiring in Portugal and in process of learning enough language and history to become a dual citizen. I didn't ask but I suspect healthcare might have something to do with that. This will be easier when James retires to France, Switzerland or Austria.

In Spain, I believe if you are in the country, regardless of status, you can walk into the ER and get help.

But doesn't the US healthcare stress go away at age 65?

I wouldn't say it goes away, but it is reduced. And not as low as it would be in Spain for your entire lifespan.

This will be easier when James retires to France, Switzerland or Austria. (...) And if you retire outside the US, I don't believe Medicare goes with you
Due to having no way to predict how things will pan out with my son, I think it's safe to say that I won't be living full-time outside the country. At the very least, I hope to spend three-ish months there during ski season.

About 2-3 years ago, my uncle left SF and Portlandia after 20 years to retire in Barcelona, Spain with his wife.

Not sure what their immigration status is, but they claim healthcare is great.

Rupert Murdoch's NY Post is a great source for virulent anti-Dem articles and editorials; however, some of them (like this one about Kamala's word-salad ad libs) make legitimate points.

Rupert Murdoch's NY Post is a great source for virulent anti-Dem articles and editorials; however, some of them (like this one about Kamala's word-salad ad libs) make legitimate points.
Murdoch has too much media influence in his home country. Media ownership laws have been implemented and adjusted to limit his influence.

Should I be concerned that a sharemarket correction in the lead up to the election might tip some voters into going for the red team come November 5?
And related to the above question. Are there any other sharemarket investors on here? I understand everyone will own stocks indirectly through superannuation accounts (you call it 401k I believe).
I’m cheering for a big sharemarket implosion so I can put some hard earned cash to work at bargain - or at least reasonable - prices.

It looks like you missed your chance yesterday. The current strategy of investors/hedge Funds borrowing Japanese yen with low interest rates to invest in US stocks came crashing down when the Bank of Japan raised interest rates.

It takes more systemic issues to correct a market, not an election. Crashes of 20%++ were the Great Recession (a nice euphemism for a Depression) or COVID.

It looks like you missed your chance yesterday. The current strategy of investors/hedge Funds borrowing Japanese yen with low interest rates to invest in US stocks came crashing down when the Bank of Japan raised interest rates.

It takes more systemic issues to correct a market, not an election. Crashes of 20%++ were the Great Recession (a nice euphemism for a Depression) or COVID.
I buy a regular amount via ETFs on the first Monday of each month so bought ‘cheap’ a couple of days ago. Barring another Great Recession it shouldn’t matter the price I paid in 10 or 15 years anyway.
I’m hoping for a more significant pull back so I can make a bigger purchase.

I’m hoping for a more significant pull back so I can make a bigger purchase.

LOL. What sort of sale are you looking for? 20%+ :LOL::LOL::LOL::unsure::eusa-naughty: You save your cash for a sale.

Trying to 'time' buying into a Bear Market is quite difficult. You would have to predict bottoms for Internet Stocks, Strippers in Florida owning 4 Condos (Housing Crisis), and a Global Pandemic (COVID).

You could have timed the Federal Reserve increasing rates. Econ 101: Interest rates go up, Stocks come down. It was slightly obvious in my Financial Tech industry that too many crappy, me-too companies were getting funded. And Web 3.0, NFTs, crypto trading companies and incomplete blockchain initiatives were complete Sh-t. And people were dangling $300-$600k salary +++ jobs to very marginal candidates in the Bay Area. It was 2000 all over again that no Millenials, Gen Z, and some Gen X did not experience firsthand.

Kamala will likely continue the Biden policies that led to record-high stock indexes. And assume the Fed will just start ramping up rate cuts.

1722971172864.png

1722972411316.png

The Bear Market of 2000-2002: Dot Com Bubble​

• Bear Market Duration: 31 months
  • Maximum S&P 500 Decline: 49%
  • Time to New Bull Market: 56 months
The bear market that began in March 2000 was triggered by the bursting of the Dot-Com bubble.

Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan famously mocked excess enthusiasm for tech stocks as “irrational exuberance.” But investors stayed bullish amid historically low interest rates and prolonged stock market gains throughout the 1990s. In the late 1990s, tech stock valuations soared to unsustainable highs.

When the Fed began raising interest rates in 1999 and 2000, tech stocks simply couldn’t maintain their bubble valuations. After 2000, the S&P 500 took more than four and a half years to recover to new all-time highs. The tech-heavy Nasdaq took an incredible 15 years to fully recover from the post-bubble bear market.

The Bear Market of 2007-2009: Global Financial Crisis​

• Bear Market Duration: 17 months
  • Maximum S&P 500 Decline: 56%
  • Time to New Bull Market: 49 months
The bear market that began in October 2007 is the most severe bear market in the history of the S&P 500. It emerged from the bursting of the subprime mortgage bubble and the global financial crisis.

In the years leading up to the crisis, financial institutions had overleveraged their balance sheets with complex securities made up of bad mortgage loans. Investors looked on helplessly as major investment banks Bear Stears and Lehman Brothers collapsed. That sparked fears about the stability of the entire global financial system. The S&P 500 dropped 56% during the resulting bear market.

The Bear Market of 2020: Covid-19 Pandemic​

• Bear Market Duration: 1 months
  • Maximum S&P 500 Decline: 34%
  • Time to New Bull Market: 5 months
The bear market of 2020 was associated with the Covid-19 pandemic and associated U.S. recession. The recession was unique in that it was artificially created by mandated government business shutdowns.

Stock prices crashed in February and March 2020 over concerns about the deadly outbreak. But the market quickly recovered to new all-time highs just five months later after it became clear the Covid-19 outbreak wasn’t as catastrophic or deadly as initially feared. Stock prices were also supported by more than $5.2 trillion in U.S. government stimulus.

The Bear Market of 2022: Post-Pandemic Supply Chain Crisis​

• Bear Market Duration: 10 months
  • Maximum S&P 500 Decline: 25%
  • Time to New Bull Market: 8 months
Unprecedented Covid-19 stimulus measures, global pandemic supply chain disruptions and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sent U.S. inflation to its highest level in decades in 2022. The Fed was forced to aggressively raise interest rates, which triggered a sell-off in growth stocks and tech stocks.

Time will tell but these critics certainly don't understand strategy, which dictates that when Trump and Vance scare the crap outta any and all normal people with their ridiculous pronouncements then all ya gotta do is let them keep digging.

Trump's recent Georgia rally was just a grudgefest against popular GOP Governor Kemp, for example, similar to his torpedo-job against Georgia GOP Senators Perdue and Loeffler.

And not that it matters but she out-debated talk radio veteran Mike Pence, "Mr. Vice President, I'm speaking".

LOL. What sort of sale are you looking for? 20%+ :LOL::LOL::LOL::unsure::eusa-naughty: You save your cash for a sale.

Trying to 'time' buying into a Bear Market is quite difficult. You would have to predict bottoms for Internet Stocks, Strippers in Florida owning 4 Condos (Housing Crisis), and a Global Pandemic (COVID).

You could have timed the Federal Reserve increasing rates. Econ 101: Interest rates go up, Stocks come down. It was slightly obvious in my Financial Tech industry that too many crappy, me-too companies were getting funded. And Web 3.0, NFTs, crypto trading companies and incomplete blockchain initiatives were complete Sh-t. And people were dangling $300-$600k salary +++ jobs to very marginal candidates in the Bay Area. It was 2000 all over again that no Millenials, Gen Z, and some Gen X did not experience firsthand.

Kamala will likely continue the Biden policies that led to record-high stock indexes. And assume the Fed will just start ramping up rate cuts.

View attachment 42259

View attachment 42260

The Bear Market of 2000-2002: Dot Com Bubble​

• Bear Market Duration: 31 months
  • Maximum S&P 500 Decline: 49%
  • Time to New Bull Market: 56 months
The bear market that began in March 2000 was triggered by the bursting of the Dot-Com bubble.

Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan famously mocked excess enthusiasm for tech stocks as “irrational exuberance.” But investors stayed bullish amid historically low interest rates and prolonged stock market gains throughout the 1990s. In the late 1990s, tech stock valuations soared to unsustainable highs.

When the Fed began raising interest rates in 1999 and 2000, tech stocks simply couldn’t maintain their bubble valuations. After 2000, the S&P 500 took more than four and a half years to recover to new all-time highs. The tech-heavy Nasdaq took an incredible 15 years to fully recover from the post-bubble bear market.

The Bear Market of 2007-2009: Global Financial Crisis​

• Bear Market Duration: 17 months
  • Maximum S&P 500 Decline: 56%
  • Time to New Bull Market: 49 months
The bear market that began in October 2007 is the most severe bear market in the history of the S&P 500. It emerged from the bursting of the subprime mortgage bubble and the global financial crisis.

In the years leading up to the crisis, financial institutions had overleveraged their balance sheets with complex securities made up of bad mortgage loans. Investors looked on helplessly as major investment banks Bear Stears and Lehman Brothers collapsed. That sparked fears about the stability of the entire global financial system. The S&P 500 dropped 56% during the resulting bear market.

The Bear Market of 2020: Covid-19 Pandemic​

• Bear Market Duration: 1 months
  • Maximum S&P 500 Decline: 34%
  • Time to New Bull Market: 5 months
The bear market of 2020 was associated with the Covid-19 pandemic and associated U.S. recession. The recession was unique in that it was artificially created by mandated government business shutdowns.

Stock prices crashed in February and March 2020 over concerns about the deadly outbreak. But the market quickly recovered to new all-time highs just five months later after it became clear the Covid-19 outbreak wasn’t as catastrophic or deadly as initially feared. Stock prices were also supported by more than $5.2 trillion in U.S. government stimulus.

The Bear Market of 2022: Post-Pandemic Supply Chain Crisis​

• Bear Market Duration: 10 months
  • Maximum S&P 500 Decline: 25%
  • Time to New Bull Market: 8 months
Unprecedented Covid-19 stimulus measures, global pandemic supply chain disruptions and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sent U.S. inflation to its highest level in decades in 2022. The Fed was forced to aggressively raise interest rates, which triggered a sell-off in growth stocks and tech stocks.
I started buying shares directly just after the implosion in 2008. I still have most of those today. I bought heavily in March 2020. And then again in the dip of 2022.
You are correct that trying to time the market is foolish. But hey - I don’t claim to be the smartest guy in the room. I have missed gains in the past by being on the sidelines. I can dream of another chance at buying shares on sale though.

Good on you for that. Seriously. If those purchase are even 20% of your portfolio that's a big win.

I bought stock every Friday for the last 38 years.

My only true win, beyond that discipline, was that I lived below my means to be able to continue to buy even in tough times. In 2008 my pay was cut (by me as owner) by 40% and we still bought $200 of stock every Friday.

What is the consensus on the Walz fellow? A good choice?
I think so. Much more experience than the alternatives: 12 years in the House from a rural relatively conservative district, then 6 years as governor. His non-elitist background should play well in the swing states.
(like this one about Kamala's word-salad ad libs)
Definitely a risk on the campaign trial, or in debates. However, Harris will hopefully be in prosecutor mode in debates with Trump. There's a good chance IMHO that Trump will duck debating Harris at all. After all, this strategy worked for Trump in the primary season.

Game set and match. Well done.

Sincerely, I wasn't trying to brag. It kind of an Italian thing I think. My grandma kept dresses for 50 years because they were "still good."

In the nineties, I spent maybe 5 years following the "boglehead forum." That's where I got my routine. Basically keep costs way down (index mostly), diversify and accept the total market return for 40 years. You won't get rich but you might end up with enough. Time will tell, I'm retiring in Dec, so here we go.

One piece of playing the market I did was overweight the US. I didn't do it on purpose, I never really thought about it. A few years ago I met with a guy who said, "decent diversification except very little international." Since then I have been buying stock at a 60/40 US/Intl ratio to try to rebalance a bit. It's still almost 3-to-1 US. When I roll my 401k into an IRA I'll be able to fully rebalance. But the accidental net net is that the US overweight has been a plus for us.

I don't care at all about thread derail.

Walz seems like a good fit for the blue. Time will tell there too.

Back