The Apocalypse in the Kitchen

Admin":1q52622f said:
Marc_C":1q52622f said:
jasoncapecod":1q52622f said:
But here's the kicker. Besides L.A. were out west can i get good pizza and a real pastrami on rye :wink:
Salt Lake City, at Settebello and NY Deli, respectively.

And for NY-style pizza, Big Apple Pizza about a mile from my house is pretty damned good.
And in the southern end of the valley, near me and Skidog in Sandy, are Little Italy and Nevloe's. The owners of both are NYC transplants.

Marc_C":101wt5t4 said:
And in the southern end of the valley, near me and Skidog in Sandy, are Little Italy and Nevloe's. The owners of both are NYC transplants.

I nearly ate at Nevloe's the other night when I ran to REI in Sandy, but opted instead for Paradise Bakery. You've eaten there and it's good?

Admin":163d0mar said:
I nearly ate at Nevloe's the other night when I ran to REI in Sandy, but opted instead for Paradise Bakery. You've eaten there and it's good?
Yes, tasty NY style pizza. However, Little Italy better understands the concept of "well done crispy crust", so I give them the edge. But in both you have to ask for that. Oh, Nevole's makes only one size pizza - 18".

Tony Crocker":3ufqum84 said:
world class rockclimbing(45min)
I'll defer to admin on this one

No, defer to Marc_C on that one.

Tony Crocker":3ufqum84 said:
world class windsurfing(da cape)
This one I know something about from friends who have moved East from SoCal. In most East Coast locations summer is perversely the least windy season of the year. Yes, Cape Cod is supposed to be good, but those friends say the physical demands of windsurfing are such that you need to be within easy daytrip distance to maintain stamina/proficiency.

Kalmus (Hyannisport, Cape Cod) rocks in summer on many occasions, but it's the anomaly along the East Coast (reportedly Sandy Hook, NJ can develop thermals, too, but I haven't sailed it myself, and Les Iles de la Madeleine in the Gulf of St. Lawrence is reportedly dependable in summer, but have fun getting there). Summer doldrums, however, are hardly a phenomenon limited to the northeast. Ditto for Florida, San Diego, and most other locales. While 10 knots will power a sailboat wonderfully, the same can't be said for boardsailing. Most folks need at least 15 knots to get planing.

The exceptions to the rule are the few places that develop thermals as a product of topography: Rio Vista, the Columbia River Gorge, etc. I never could deduce why Kalmus works so well, but it does.

Tony - where do you get those COLA indexes? Have a link? Can you get it for anywhere or just a major metro? How does Burlington VT stack up?

We've talked about moving primary residence to Burlington and keeping the cabin in the Adks as it is...rustic and cheap.

Admin":16wjpqnr said:
Marc_C":16wjpqnr said:
jasoncapecod":16wjpqnr said:
But here's the kicker. Besides L.A. were out west can i get good pizza and a real pastrami on rye :wink:
Salt Lake City, at Settebello and NY Deli, respectively.

And for NY-style pizza, Big Apple Pizza about a mile from my house is pretty damned good.

You can take Marc_C's endorsements to the bank. He and his wife are true foodies in every sense of the word.

If you're moving to SLC, you're not moving there for the food. As far as culinary options are concerned, I'm sure SLC ranks fairly low compared to the likes of NYC, L.A., Rome, and Paris.

Again, L.A. is a compromise. It has close hiking, closer skiing, of equal or greater value to that of New Jersey. If I so choose to drive 5 1/2 hours north of NYC, I might get to Burlington, depending on the traffic. However, driving 5 1/2 hours north of L.A. lies mammoth, which is one of the premier mountains in the west, not to mention that flights to Utah and other destinations out west will take less time and cost less.

jamesdeluxe":2xqo3hld said:
Keep telling yourself that you'll be happy there.
:lol:

Born and raised in NYC. Went to college in Indiana. Loved indiana. I'm very open minded,.... and a change of scenery is called for. Sitting in your own climate controlled car through traffic will be better than getting to know my neighbors armpit, after watching 3 trains pass. Oh... the 6 train, I will not miss you, nor my 5 story walkup 15 minute walk from the train, 400 sq. foot apartment, which monthly cost more than most european ski vacations. Did I mention my apartment is cheap by NYC standards. Yep, I think I'll be happier in L.A. If not... I'll come back, or go to "foofy land."

For various reasons that all have to do with an apocalypse in the kitchen I didn't buy another house when I moved here. I'm renting one. rfarren, next time you're out remind me to invite you over for a beer to demonstrate what $1200/month will fetch. And while we're at it remind me to invite you to meet up for a SLC dinner.

rfarren":k3t6miq7 said:
Oh... the 6 train, I will not miss you, nor my 5 story walkup 15 minute walk from the train, 400 sq. foot apartment, which monthly cost more than most european ski vacations. Did I mention my apartment is cheap by NYC standards.

York Avenue? Yep, sounds like a change is needed.
:)

I've never lived in Manhattan. Ten years in Park Slope and now my present setup.

Admin":127iblnn said:
For various reasons that all have to do with an apocalypse in the kitchen I didn't buy another house when I moved here. I'm renting one. rfarren, next time you're out remind me to invite you over for a beer to demonstrate what $1200/month will fetch. And while we're at it remind me to invite you to meet up for a SLC dinner.

I will gladly oblige. I have not found the food at Salt Lake City lacking whatsoever. Just those pesky mid station cafeterias, but thanks to your advice I doubt I will do that again. I'm afraid to find out what $1200/month, which is far less than what I pay :oops:, gets you out there. It might be like looking in the mirror, and realizing your dog is better looking than you.

rfarren":bha5gpa8 said:
I'm afraid to find out what $1200/month, which is far less than what I pay :oops:, gets you out there.
Here's a data point:
I'm on the east bench in Sandy, 13 road miles from Alta. 3960 sq. ft. (1640 sq.ft. unfinished basement) 3br, 2 bath, 3 car garage, two fireplaces (gas in master BR, wood or gas in family/LR), 20' cathedral ceiling, built in 1996, 0.47 acres. Taxes: ~$4K/yr. We bought it in March 2001. Asking price: $325K (it was a bank owned foreclosure, so realistically it would have been closer to $425K at the time.) Actual month mortgage payments would of course depend on your individual situation, but for sake of argument assume $1500/month.

As far as windsurfing goes, Barnigatt Bay in NJ gets a rocking thermal.
IMHO one of the top 5 places in the world for flat water sailing. Waist deep water for miles. After a day of sailing you can have Jersey shore Itailan Sub and a cold one..I forgot to mention that the water is also bath tub warm from mid june - sept..

jamesdeluxe said:
York Avenue? Yep, sounds like a change is needed.
:)

quote]

Bingo! We are looking at brooklyn, but it is still expensive, and I will still be stuck taking the 6 train. Frankly, for the cost, Brooklyn (and that includes the slope, cobble hill etc...) should be conveniently located in the middle of manhattan. While I'm at it, New Jersey should be replaced with a mountain range consiting of 8 thousand foot high peaks. :P

rfarren":2c3gv85j said:
While I'm at it, New Jersey should be replaced with a mountain range consiting of 8 thousand foot high peaks. :P

Why don't we put them on Tug Hill so we can get the lake effect. :lol:

rfarren":vve807em said:
While I'm at it, New Jersey should be replaced with a mountain range consiting of 8 thousand foot high peaks.
Why limit yourself? The base of Alta is just over 8500'.

Marc_C":ewdt8ss5 said:
Why limit yourself? The base of Alta is just over 8500'.

I think he's talking vertical. :lol:

If not, let's just go with 8000 meter peaks and be done with it.

An 8,000 foot mountain in the East might not have lifts or be skiable very often, considering the weather at 6,200 in New Hampshire.

Tony Crocker":3c2m9bvz said:
An 8,000 foot mountain in the East might not have lifts or be skiable very often, considering the weather at 6,200 in New Hampshire.

Does anyone have a quick answer to why Mt Washington has such brutal weather at that elevation?

Tony Crocker":43xwpk0i said:

Thats why I said only 8,000.

Back